Cobra Jet casting number

Yes, all 428 blocks made before August 1967 had that marking.

quote=“Al Bundy” post_id=139337 time=1621575510 user_id=233]

Didn’t some have an A scratch?
[/quote]

OK, after closer inspection, I believe that the casting number is actually “8K31” (see photo) which predates the build date of the car (which was 1969 Oct 3).

Whadd ya’all think? Can I call this “numbers matching” or is this too far of a stretch (11 mos).

11 months seems to be quite a stretch, IMHO.

Chuck, have you looked for a VIN stamp on the block?
If it’s on the block, it would be on the back on the pad below the driver’s side head.

There is a VIN stamp on the back of the driver’s side head but I have not noticed one on the block yet.

BTW, I bought 2 cans of “Old Ford Blue” engine paint at O’Reilly’s. First can was labeled “Old Ford Blue” and contained Old Ford Blue. The second can was labeled “Old Ford Blue” but contained New Ford Blue. Sheesh!

Chuck

Fortunately for you “Old Ford Blue” is not what came on your car originally. That baby - blue shade came on certain ford valve covers and air cleaners in the pre - 1966 era.

From 1966 - 78 all Ford and Mercury engines were painted “Ford Corporate Dark Blue”. One particular favorite in spray cans is P/N DE1606.

So the can with the baby Blue color must be the correct OLD Ford blue and the can that came out darker is what, then? I thought the darker color was what should have been in there; now I’m wondering which one is correct, lighter or darker? Either way, both cans do not match in color so I will try to find the darker color, correct? And should I specify Ford Blue or Old Ford Blue. Sounds like plain old Ford Blue is the real Corporate Ford Blue color.

Chuck

Old Ford Blue had not been used for years when your car was built. Duplicolor #1606 is a pretty good match for what was used from 1966 - 1978 on all Ford products. It’s sold virtually everywhere car parts are sold.

It’s beginning to look a lot like … a Cobra Jet!

This is Dark Ford Blue (what the Duplicolor can says) and it is shade 1606, seems a bit dark to me; what about you?

Thanks in advance,
Chuck

Looks perfect. As the years fly by it will fade and get lighter and lighter every year.

And that explains why pieces of the original paint look so light by comparison!

Thanks,
Chuck