Correct blue color for 1972 351 Cleveland valve covers

I was wondering what is the correct blue for the valve covers ,Ive seen different shades on different engines… I have a 1972 base model with the 351 Cleveland…

Ford Corporate Blue

Yup all Ford / Mercury / Lincoln products engines were painted Ford Corporate Dark blue from 1966 - 76. It fades to white when exposed to anti freeze. Many other colors are possible with the effects of age and chemicals.

1 Like

This is the 351C 2V for my 71 XR-7. The color is Ford Corporate Dark Blue. Most of the engine is painted as an assembly and then final assembly with pullies, brackets, fan and oil cap being a Black. The air cleaner was painted when it was built and sometimes does not exactly match. I repainted mine as it was much lighter then it looks here and I wanted it closer to the block.(When I first painted it I used the same brand rattle can paint and it did not match the one used on the engine) Lift brackets and exhaust manifolds were usually painted with the engine. The lift brackets here are black and should be blue. I did leave them Black. The throttle bracket is also Black.
Good luck with your Cougar project.

Thanks, this helps a lot…

NPD sells what is probably the most “accurate” Corporate Blue available.

Thanks for the info…