Covering my car during the winter

Hello everyone
I need some direction with the best way to store my car outside during the fall into spring months. What kind of cover to use and how to keep out the rodents etc.
Thanks

What part of the country are you in? This helps with factoring in the type of weather your car will have to endure. Dry mild areas you don’t need as much protection as wet, Icy or humid areas. But as you most likely know covered storage is better than out in the open and in door climate controlled storage is best.

I’m in Westchester New York. So I get the cold and snowy weather. My car is newly painted and doesn’t have any glass installed. So I would like to cover this car as best I can without ruining the paint etc

Thanks

I’ll see if I can find a good source of info for that kind of weather. But do not use a plastic tarp touching or resting on the car. It will trap moisture and cause all kinds of problems. Depending on how much snow you get a 10 X 20 canvas carport like this page has,
https://www.google.com/search?q=10X20+canvas+carport&spell=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW89GYlLjWAhVHwVQKHaSaChkQBQgjKAA&biw=1745&bih=864
Only problem is roof load and wind. I use to have one set up at my last place. I had it lag bolted to 20" 4X4’s and used ratchet straps to help hold it in place in case of high winds. I would recommend a more expensive one over a cheep one as the cloth and steel members most likely will be better quality. Costco usually has them.

I think you would be better off renting a storage unit then trying some method of covering it up outside. The cost of renting a unit for a few months will seem cheap compared to trying to repair damage to a newly painted car.

Thanks badcatt. The carport type is not going to work because of the wind and snow plus I really don’t have room for that kind of structure. What would you recommend to keep rodents from making a nest in the car?

What would you recommend to keep rodents from making a nest in the car?

Admittedly this is coming from someone who doesn’t face that kind of weather, but why don’t you just inspect the car every so often as weather permits?

+1 for renting indoor storage for 3-4 months, especially in its current state - new paint and no windows.

The other issue is the snow load pressing down on the rear and front windshield on the cover. If the glass is missing.

Plus melting water not finding a place to drain. Leaking through the cover. No matter how waterproof it supposedly is.

See if there is a friend that has a garage you could rent for $50 a month?

What about those places that shrink wrap boats? They must do something to deal with moisture.

Thanks for all the input. It helps to get different view points