Custom Body/Appearance

I’m curious as to any unique appearance applications to any Classic Cats out there. I’m wanting to apply a Shelby style rear spoiler to my 67 but am curious as to what is needed to do so. I’m capable of fabricating but don’t want to go to the trouble of it if I’m comfortable with the Eliminator style wings already. Any info is greatly appreciated.

A person used to sell the parts your looking for on eBay. I haven’t seen any listed in years. It can be done if you want to fabricate your own pieces. Here are a couple of photos showing some deck lids with the Shelby duck tail type spoiler.
Steven

Dunno why, but I dig the duck tail over the standard “wing”.

I agree. If I had to do a rear spoiler I’d go with the duck tail over the Eliminator wing on the 1967-1968 Cougars. It’s a more natural fit in my opinion.
Steven

Sorry guys… TOTALLY disagree. The ducktail makes the whole rear look too thick and bulky. You might as well just rent out space on it as a billboard. Not to mention the amount of work it takes to make it fit decent. Then there’s no telling how long it will hold up under regular or spirited driving before it starts showing stress cracks and the like.

True, much like your first rendition of the Hero hood, I’d imagine. But, if a guy had mad-skills to make a metal cowl induction hood, I’d bet he would have enough of those skills to come up with a metal duck tail that didn’t look like a billboard.

Yeah, it’s been done already and it’s the Eliminator style wing! :poke:

The Duck tail doesn’t come out as well as it should, the flat space above the tail lights really messes up that part of the body line. The prototype Eliminator spoiler is probably the best looking to me, but even that looks a little too Buick to me. It is of course, your car so do what makes you happy!

There is nothing about that duck tail that says Cougar to me. It looks bad as in ugly as far as I’m concerned.

I agree, the duck tail doesn’t do it for me either…

Well, as they say, that’s why they make more than just vanilla ice cream. Different strokes/different folks, etc, etc…

Always thought something like this would look good on 68, if it was run to the edge of the tumblehome

Tumblehome??? Please explain.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

The curve along the rear where the body line goes down from the horizontal to vertical plane

Does anyone know anything about the black and gold Cougar posted in the first picture? I would like to see more of them. Sadly, that is the exact same color scheme that I was going to put on my 68, as it is the opposite of my 69

Wait, what? There’s more than vanilla ice cream available?

I’m sure most of you all have seen this vintage photo before.

I believe this is a prototype rear spoiler that was considered for the XR7-G.

• Phillip
    AO Smith 67 Cougar.jpg

Looks like that Cougar has GT-E side mouldings?

Very likely that a fiberglass trunk lid with spoiler was considered for XR7-G. AO Smith produced the 1968 Shelby fast back and convertible trunk lids with spoiler in fiberglass. They also were the supplier of trunk lids for the 1968 California Special or GT/CS Mustang.

If you click on the black and gold Cougar picture in my post it will link you to the Photobucket account. There are more pictures of the black and gold Cougar. This Cougar was also listed in a thread topic on MC.net.
Steven

“If you click on the black and gold Cougar picture in my post it will link you to the Photobucket account. There are more pictures of the black and gold Cougar. This Cougar was also listed in a thread topic on MC.net.”

I tried to click on the black and gold car, nothing happened. I was able to look at the other pictures on the photo bucket page, but did not see the black and gold car.
By change do you have a link for the convo on MC.net? I spend (spent) a lot more time on that site than I do over here for some reason,
Thanks!