Dan Gurney BMX

This isn’t exactly Cougar trivia, but it may be interesting to some.

The details are a little sketchy, but BMX bikes were manufactured and sold under the Dan Gurney name in 1975 and 1976. I don’t know how much Dan Gurney was involved. My guess is, he just signed a contract and received the royalty checks.

BMX was still in its infancy in 1975 so technology was changing rapidly. They were still figuring out what geometry worked, and how to make frames that would hold up. A lot of companies started up and failed quickly if they didn’t keep up. I’m not sure what happend to Dan Gurney BMX, but two years later they were gone.

Typical Dan Gurney bikes. They made both hardtail and suspension models.

Dan Gurney headtube badge. The bikes were called “Eagles”.

A bike box that a BMX collector just discovered.

They are really pricey now.

Great pics, thanks!

I love the shirts the kids are wearing - never scene one of those.

Did the suspension model always come with a flat rear tire or was that just a special option they wanted to showcase in the ad?

:facepalm:

Haha I didn’t notice the flat tire.

Propayne, you are right about the price of that stuff. BMX collectors are just as passionate as car guys.

Man those were the days. I had a Redline Gt Pro Series and a Daylgo Orange Pro Performer. I just checked the sold listings for the Dayglo Frame and it, if my memory serves me correctly, $1800. I gave about 1/3 that for the entire bike in '87.