Data base info?

I’ve been curious about if there is an estimated total of Cougars in the database/registry by year? I realize that the number would be incomplete but if there were 150,893 built in 1967 how many are registered. The same for 68-73? I’d like to be able to put a percentage on us Cougar guys/gals out there now. :doh:

I found this on the CCOA website, it was last updated last Sept: http://www.cougarclub.org/cougar-database-summary.htm . John

Keep in mind that the numbers on the CCOA summary include parted out cars. Not all of those listed are still in one piece and on the road.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Thanks John that’s exactly what I was looking for. As for the 68 model year I counted 10,950 accounted for. That’ a little under 10% of actual production for that year. To me that is amazing after 46 years!

Wondering if there’s any way of knowing how many Cougars are in driving condition (or reasonably restorable to that condition). Is that type of data included in the registry? How often is updated data released?

The database includes a lot of parted and scrapped cars, and cars that people owned long ago and would like to find. The number you saw is the number of VIN’s reported to Phil. Many of the cars associated with those VIN’s are long gone.

On the other hand you can assume that only a small percentage of total Cougar owners have reported their VINs. So I would estimate the number of Cougars that exist today has no relationship to the number of VIN’s reported to the registry.

Hello,
I am new to the forum. I bought a 1968 Cougar that the owner “says” it is a Dan Gurney Special. It has been in Arizona a LONG time and the interior is cooked. The sticker on the passenger side is not visible. I am assuming it was “cooked” off. Does the Marti Report definitely state the car is a Dan Gurney version, or is it just a combination of detail parts that make it that way? I apologize in advance for asking a potentially repetitive question from earlier member questions. Did they come in special colors, or any other sure fire ways to tell it is one or not. The car is still beautiful, and VERY rust free. Just have to re do the interior that is dry rotted, and smoked over very badly…

Thanks for any assistance.

Chris

Welcome to the board! A Marti report should verify whether or not it’s a Dan Gurney Special. The basic report is only $18 and well worth it if you’re considering a purchase.

Good luck and be sure to post pics if you buy it!

Thanks, Well I bought it, but the Marti Report does not state it is a Dan Gurney Special. It is just a above average optioned 302 2v version. I think the seller was “over” exagerating the history of the car. But, it still is pretty and will look great when I am finished with it. Who do you recommend for parts, especially interior. I have leather seats with head rests, in Nugget Gold. Thank you.

In 1968 the Dan Gurney Special package was installed at the factory and also by dealers. Sometimes all the dealer would pu on the car was a set ot Turbine Wheel covers and the sticker on the window. The complete kit would have included under-hood dress up: chrome valve covers, air cleaner lid, dip stick handle, radiator cap, and breather cap. There were no special paint colors. The package was available on standard Cougars only from the factory in '68.

Welcome aboard Chris / ClassicCat1968!

Post some pics when you get a chance ~ we love to see the cars in any condition, so don’t be shy :slight_smile:

Hi,

Thanks for the information. So does that make my car a legitamate Dan Gurney Special? Would I have to have dealer paperwork to “prove” it? I have the wheel covers, but the sticker remnants were cleaned off the car, per the owners comments. I like the sticker, saw it reproduced, would it be wrong to put it back in…Additionally, who is the best sources for parts, in your opinion. My interior is ARIZONA cooked. Body is very solid, but the interior is like powder, dash etc smoked. Needs lots of help. I am having it shipped home to Delaware. can’t wait to see it in person. cant wait to drive it around before old man winter comes around.

Thanks for any advice and assistance. I am a newbie, so expert advice is very welcome. Cat fever…I feel it.

Chris

Welcome. I don’t think the “Dan Gurney Special” package makes your car more or less valuable/desirable. For 1968 it was wheel covers and a decal. Reproduction stickers are available and you can certainly put one on your car. What are your plans for the car? Restoration?

As for parts, check with Randy Goodling in Pennsylvania (see post #3 above)…