Detailing the Engine Compartment.

A question for the more experienced. Is there a way to simulate the original finish on the fan blades without actually dipping it? Seems like I would need a lot of paint to do it the factory way. Maybe spray it on fairly thick and let it run a tiny bit? Or is that going to look half-fast?

You might check over on the Concours Mustang forum. I recall reading about guys floating paint on top of a bucket of water. They slowly dip the item into the bucket, and the paint coats the item before it pushes through to the water ~ so the water never actually touches the item.
Then they hang it up to dry.

I’ve never done it, and there is probably a little more to it than that, but that’s the gist of it from what I recall.

I make the repros and they are all dipped. I have seen guys just load up a fan with spray paint until it ran. Paint used for dipping processes is thicker than spray paint. Or maybe I should say that spray paint has to be thinned to make it work, so the runs tend to be thinner.

Bill, do you reproduce the C8OE-B fan ?

Yes I’m pretty sure that’s the one he was referring to.

Yes, and the C9OZE

Bill I didn’t realize you were behind these parts I have been hunting for a -B and was about to get one of yours and a original came my way. Your parts are very well done.

Can someone confirm the correct part number for the thermostat housing? I’m not 100% certain C8AE8594E is correct.

For a GT-E that’s correct if it is aluminum. In the 1970’s Ford started casting them from iron to save money, but they still have the same marking on the part. It will have a plug screwed in to the threaded hole where some other applications would have a thermostatic vacuum valve installed.

Thanks Royce. I’ve been seeing some different versions that were confusing the issue.

The same one is used on any '68 390 / 427 / 428 / 428CJ. Here’s a good write up:

https://www.428cobrajet.com/id-thermostat-housing

Reviving this thread again for opinions. Well hopefully definitive answers not opinions.

The Cobra Jet detailing guide lists bolts for exhaust manifolds as having a phosphate finish. The kit from WCCC for 390 GT also comes in that same finish. Usually 390/427/428 have a lot of similarities, but the original bolts I took off my X Code are clearly cadmium finish. This leaves me completely guessing what would be correct for my 427. I already have enough minor details to correct, trying not to add more items to the list.

Scratch this. Upon further review these bolts do not have the correct washers on them. They must have been replaced.