Drip rail install with vinyl top

failed at vinyl top install on my 69 , so i had someone install it . the vinyl overlaps the on the face of the drip rail , does this have to be trimmed back to let the stainless drip trim fit . if so how far does it get trimmed back to ?

I have a 1969 Cougar XR-7 also with a black vinyl top. The factory roof is just about to be removed, so I got some images for you ( a couple are quite clear, one not so ). The factory trimming is really quite terrible - but thankfully covered up by the stainless drip moulding.
It appears that the vinyl could have shrunk in areas, or it’s just a bad trim job - or both !
So it seems the the trimming was originally done just as the roof panel curls under, leaving no vinyl on the underside. If some of the trimming missed that point, and it was trimmed along the ‘front’ edge of the roof panel, it doesn’t seem to matter as well. Have a look at the images - if you have any questions ( or need an image of a specific area ), fire away !
This first image shows the seam on the DS A-pillar.

This second image is along the back of the 1/4 window ( just above the chromed ‘hockey-stick’ moulding ).

The third image is along the DS roofline, just before the rear window.

i can get it snapped onto the roof fine will not fit on the pillar , or the back down slope of the roof line . this isnt aftermarket trim, its the original trim i removed . what am i doing wrong ? does it have to snap on from the front to the rear , or rear to front , or can i start in the middle on the roof line , does it matter ?