Electric steering conversion on 67 mustang tilt away

Hey everyone. I’m rolling along with steering column work and have this one option that is proving to be pretty amazing. A customer sent me his 67 Mustang tilt column to convert to a modern EPAS electric steering unit. It’s requires a mix of 67 and 68 parts to work but the EPAS system is perfectly suited for Mustang and I’ll be checking the fitment for Cougar too as I have a rolling chassis to experiment with. What’s cool is how well all the integrated parts are fitting. :warning: For the faint of heart or concourse folks who cringe at these types of deviations, please don’t read any further. ; )

If you’re brave then continue because in order to change this over you first cut the tube to a specific length. I’m certain at this point that for 68 it would require using the upper tube and mounting bracket from a 67.
This means now with a chopped upper you need to shorten the track inside the tube for the TS switch loom common to that 67 year. I then went a step further and turned this into probably the only one of it’s kind. I converted the housing using the lower section of a 68. The collar and flange down including a shaft from a 68. It now is an electric steering, cable operated 67 tilt away column . The lower shaft of the 68 is shortened to fit perfectly into the EPAS slot. From there down it goes into the motor which mounts directly behind the dash mounting bracket. That new system comes with a collapsible feature that goes through the firewall and attaches to the gear box. It now is a 1967- 69 Tilt tilt away, cable operated electric steering set up. Pricey but very cool

:sunglasses:

3 Likes

You are gonna have to show this to me when you get back down around Wichita, Tony! That’s pretty sweet.

1 Like

That’s very cool, Tony. I’ve spoken to a couple of people about such a conversion as an alternative to switching over to a Borgeson, or other, system to get away from the problems many have with the original stock version.

1 Like

Absolutely. The annual car show perhaps I’ll have this in my own car to display it. : )

1 Like

Thanks At this point I need to confirm how this actually fits under dash. Expecting there’ll be a modification there. Space Is a premium and considering when you change one thing it’ll alter 5 others.

1 Like

Im going to go with the epas as well. Non tilt column however so should be far easier!

1 Like

Looks Good Tony!

1 Like

3 Likes

Looks sharp, Tony!!!

1 Like

I think this is a great system.

1 Like

It’s been a little over a year on this post and was wondering if there is any additional input on this Tilt-A-Way/EPAS conversion? I have a 67 Tilt-A-Way and am very interested if it worked and/or any final thoughts. TIA

1 Like

does this work with a manual rack?

1 Like

Hello. One of the key points on the build is it takes some of a 68 or 9 to do. Such as the vacuum assembly and It has a cable instead of the rod that came from 67. There were I believe some modification to the under dash hardware. Basically the pedal assembly. From later reports the customer response is positive. Works well.

1 Like

Yes. It can be made to order from epas on either manual or automatic. Naturally changing one thing alters 5 others. There may be a few mods to perform but overall not that hard to figure out.

I just installed mine recently. Granted I do not have a tilt away column but can confirm Im happy with the conversion.

1 Like

Does anyone have an idea of the cost difference to convert a 68 non tilt to epas vs Borgeson?

Pretty much the cost of the kit for a EPAS non tilt. Everything you need is included in the kit minus the manual adaptor to delete the control valve off the linkage. I believe the adaptor was about 50bucks or so. What for sales on the EPAS system. When I picked up mine I saved 100bucks buying direct from them durning a holiday sale earlier in the year.

There are also other ways do to epas then use the kit but it’s a lot more technical and this time consuming. But parts can be had for around 500ish

Also keep in mind I would highly recommend upgrading your alternator. The EPAS motor is 60amps and can draw a decent amount under slow speed turning. This can be an added cost over the borgenson if you have not already done it. For me this was not an issue as I needed an alternator for other things like fans and efi.

Overall I feel the epas was cheaper than the Borgenson in my case, weigh out your pros and cons and see what makes sense for your car.

1 Like

Awesome, thank you for your quick response

There was a little bit of fabrication to secure the motor under the dash. Everything is functioning perfectly. Also EPAS made some improvements to their product. From what I’ve heard better motor and bearings. You would want to check their product support for details.

Manual steering. Yes. If your referring to clutch pedal assembly that might better be answered by EPAS tech support.