Emergency Signal Not Working

I checked to see if my emergency signal would work and nothing happens. This is on my 1969 XR7. I have all LED lamps with the Cougars Unlimited Flashers which are grounded.

All of my lights, turn signals, and brake lights work correctly. I have 12volts into the flasher on the Red/WS (383) lead. There is no voltage out on the White/RS (385) that goes up to the turn signal switch and terminates at the emergency switch. It does not change when I engage the switch. Only the blue lead is hot when the ignition is on and it triggers the turn signal flasher (I think).
The emergency switch clicks in and out correctly.

With the ignition off and the emergency switch not engaged is there supposed to be 12 volts at the White/RS (385) terminal at the emergency switch? I am guessing when the switch is activated it opens the circuit to the Blue terminal and the White/BS terminal and the lights start flashing.

Not sure what to check next.

Is this a new install or did they just stop working ?
On my 73 I had to reverse the flasher can leads because they are polarity sensitive. The stock flasher cans are not

The LEDs are new. I installed the WCCC system. I never checked the emergency flashers since owning the car. How did you reverse the polarity? Do I just not use the ground? Is the polarity switched inside the flasher by swapping the leads?

I have the same setup on my '70 which I know is somewhat different. However, I noticed that sometimes the emergency flashers can take a bit to get going. Like I have to engage them and then after 30 seconds they start going. All other functions with the LEDs and digital flashers work fine all the time.

They have to warm up? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

reverse the wires on flasher can…happened to me as well…

Hope that helps!

Rod

I will do it.

You can purchase adjustable 3 pin flasher can from Amazon. It seems all the applications ive used them on the wiring plug was opposite polarity. A couple of short 1/4in spade jumpers solved that issue and you can dial the speed of the flashes you like. Under 10 bucks.

The LEDs are new. I installed the WCCC system. I never checked the emergency flashers since owning the car. How did you reverse the polarity? Do I just not use the ground? Is the polarity switched inside the flasher by swapping the leads?

I just made some new jumper wires from the flasher can to the plug.

It was the polarity. The flashers work great after I checked them with a jumper. I just will push the leads out of the plastic mounting block and swap them. Thank you all for the help on this issue.

Glad that’s all it was, it kicked my butt for a minute when I did the upgrade :rofl:

Verify that the pins of the emergency flasher connector are not swapped. It is very common for the white/red and red/white to be swapped by the OEM harness manufacturer. It didn’t matter back in the day because thermal flashers are not polarity sensitive.

From the wire side of the connector, use a small thin flat blade jewler’s screwdriver to depress the tang on the connector pin and pull it out. Swap the pins and it will work.

Flasher

Emergency flasher connector

I pulled the connectors from the housing and swapped them and now my flashers work great. My rear signals sequence in emergency mode. Is that a LED thing?

Originally, Ford released two different sequential controller boards for the 1969-73 Cougars and Thunderbirds. The first design, marked 2L7-0092-01, did not have sequencing emergency flashers. The second design, marked 2L7-0135-01, had sequencing emergency flashers.

My board design follows the second style with sequencing emergency flashers. However, it is possible to configure the board with jumpers to the early style emergency style flashers.

I like it. By far the coolest emergency flashers on the side of the road.

1 Like