Ford 460 in a Cougar?

One has to be careful on a Lima (385) series engine - what heads does it have. Stick either with early thunder jet - C8-C9 Castings, or cobra jet either cast iron or aluminum heads.

My 71 429CJ / C6 / w a/c ps pdb - 3850lbs with approx 5 gallons of gas in the tank

One has to remember prior to “the smog years” 1972 the only 460 ford was using went into lincolns, The 429 Thunderjet - basically the same engine with the 429 crank was rated at 360HP. Monster horsepower ratings didn’t mean much to the Dr/banker set.

As andy said a 460 with C9 heads will easily make 480-500/hp ft/lbs depending on cam/compression choices.

514 strokers are 500-600hp motors and if you go to a 557 you can easily expect 600-700hp. It isnet rocket science and and it isn’t exotic. Again its simply increasing cubic inches by 10-30%

My current 429CJ project made 440HP/480ft/lbs with dyno headers 9.5:1 compression. 419HP/455 ft/lbs with manifolds.

The main thing in my opion (.02) one has the look at the purpose of their car. A 429 in especially a 67-68 is going to be a tight fit and unless you are building a drag car it might not be the most practial choice. A windsor motor - especally with fuel injection does open up so performace/economy options.

Well how much are you looking for a total budget & what are you going to use the car for?

'73s are quite a bit heavier due to the 5mph front bumper and isolators… and my '73 weight is with a half tank, ac/pb/ps/air/power seat, power windows, … but thank you for proving my point that a 429/460 is 200+/- pounds heavier than a 351… and your '71 429 Cougar is only a hundred pounds less than my four-door Crown Vic!!! No matter how you slice it, a 429/460 is a heavy hunk of iron.

I did pick up a 429CJ engine cheap ($300) and thought about putting it into one of my Cats, but decided against it because there’d be too much to change. Frame mounts, trans, exhaust, intake, accessory brackets… Just wasn’t worth the added trouble and expen$e!

Did the 429CJ you picked up come out of a cougar? If so can you foreward the Vin off the block to me?

The 429CJ in the 71 really does not hinder handeling - of course the car was designed to handle the 385 series engines. anyway I have run my 71 and my 73 at Road America and both cars are very stable and predicitable.

The 71 doesn’t plow into corners etc - The car could have been pushed much harder than I was willing to push it.

I would gues that the demographics of those that ordered the 429CJ in a cougar in 71 was somebody buying a baby Tbird - Hence the XR7 HT accounted for 3/4 of production and the majority are “well” equiped with A/C and a high percentage of comfort and conveniece options.

Iron block with Al heads and intake is 600 lbs. Not that far north from an A/C equipped M code.
This is why Rocketman had to use 351 springs.

Great discussion going on here. I am no longer even considering the engine swap in my cat anytime in the foreseeable future, because I just picked up my winter/rainy day driver today, a '79 Bronco just like I was hoping for. Between the minor maintenance and upgrades I already have planned for my Cougar and a handful of things I know the Bronco needs (and probably many I don’t know about after just an hour of driving), something as major as an engine swap is totally out of the picture. Though if the day ever comes that I wanna look at a souped-up 351 for my cat, I’ll already know at least a bit about the engine since the Bronco has a 351m.

Good times.

The 429CJ engine I had originally came out of a '70 or '71 Torino (CRS syndrome :buck: ) according to the abbreviated engine VIN (assembly code H - Lorain OH), but was installed in a '69 T-bird :wtf: . They couldn’t get the T-bird running because they put the T-bird intake on the motor and it created all sorts of vacuum leaks due to port mis-match… I sold off the 4-bolt longblock to a racer, sold the 429CJ Q-jet carb to a MC.net member, and still have the cast iron 429CJ Q-jet intake…