Ford Blue Engine Paint

Had to pull the engine from my convertible and thought I’d freshen up the paint. The paint I used to use was Plasicoat 224 and I thought it was a pretty good match. Of course 224 is no longer available. A good friend is involved with POR15 and he got me a couple cans of their engine paint. Ford Blue is way too dark. The Ford Corporate Blue is closer but is still too dark.

My friend called the guy at POR15 corporate who formulates the paint colors. He didn’t realize that the Ford/Mercury world consensus was that the Ford Corporate Blue is too dark.

We now have the opportunity to have POR15 engine paint mixed to the correct color match.

What I’d like to do is get some agreement on what exactly the correct color is knowing of course that there were some variations in engine colors between 1967 and 1973.

I’ll post this on other forums as well.

Any time frame on the reformulation? I’ll be painting my new motor in about a month (hopefully) after the machine shop is done. I have used the POR 15 Ford corporate blue last time (6 years ago) and had received similar comments regarding the dark shade. Would like to use a corrected shade this time if possible. Absolutely love the durability and ease of application of the POR 15.

The correct original color is Ford Corporate Blue. Like all paint it fades over time, getting lighter and lighter until it is almost white. Being exposed to heat and anti freeze and oil makes it fade even more.

There is not any consensus that this is in error.

A Ford advertisement from 1966:

1 Like

Royce the problem is that there is a huge amount of difference in Ford Corporate Blue with different manufacturers available right now. All I’m trying to do now is get POR15 to change their formula to something hat is more correct.

No idea of a time frame sorry. We have to determine the correct color first

NPD claims to have the most accurate Corporate Blue, mixed from the PPG 13358 color formula. Have your guy match the PPG paint and they should be good to go.

Thanks for the update as I knew it was a shot in the dark. I was on the POR site last night and it said the Ford Corporate Blue was out of stock. I don’t know if that was coincidence or if this is the reason. LOL.

A friend used that paint and said it looked good.

This engine paint matched my original charcoal canister nearly exactly, and has held up well over 4 years on the engine:

Have you used it? Is it a good match?

Yes, painted entire engine and air cleaner with it 4 yrs ago. The heat riser tube is still original corporate blue - nearly perfect match. And it has held up well against fluid spills and heat too.

1 Like

An FYI, This is my 71 XR-7’s 351C 2V when I was putting it in the car. Note the air cleaner housing is lighter then the engine. Both were painted with the same brand, and color Ford Corporate Blue paint. Different production lot numbers, same color number.

I ended up stripping off my decals and repainting the housing and lid to match the engine after finding some of t he correct mix paint. If I recall this was Plasicoat 224. I have some left over and will s=double check tomorrow,