Ford Charcoal Black Metallic Paint Code

Does anybody know the actual paint color code, if there is one, for the charcoal black metallic that is used on the dash of the XR-7? I purchased the accumatch spray can for the interior, but I am curious about an exterior application on the body. Was hoping the paint code is out there and available from some manufacturer of paint.

The interior paint color code likely will provide little help since its 50 plus years old and not very usable today with different products, tints and so on. Of course the original was a lacquer based paint

PPG/Ditzler 32586
Autolite sheets show MA4J-2083-s

Companies currently supply the color in rattle cans or it can be purchased in cans so it can be sprayed that way.

As a reminder some mixes do not cover well so its recommended that a a couple of light but full coats of a black is applied first with two light and somewhat dry coats of the Charcoal metallic to add the gray and metallic look. Too much and you will fill grain if the panel is stamped with one or produce a glossier finish than one would want on an interior panel

Not sure what your planning on painting on the exterior of the car. Can’t think of any original applications. Don’t know what year or model your dealing but exterior grays/charcoals are a different mix and color

Thanks J!

Definitely wouldn’t be an original application. I’m at the point in the resto process where I have to start contemplating on which direction to take the color scheme of the car. I’ve posted this in another thread, but my cat was changed to Cardinal Red with Red Interior by previous owner, car was Originally Fawn with Saddle interior. Not being a fan of the Red on red, I’m contemplating the possible color changes, one of which was the Charcoal Black on the exterior and maintaining the red interior.

Being the most expensive part of the resto process, it’s tough nailing down the colors.

Might want to investigate the Dark Charcoal used on the exterior cladding of 70 Mach I Mustangs. It had some small flaked metallic in the mix and would likely be better for exterior exposure. Sort of a semi-gloss finish as you might expect. Some mixes can come out with a slight brownish tint so have a test panel shot to check

How about black / dark cherry, it would pick out the red but at the same time contrast it.

Slightly more relevant photo:

I’ve always like Black Cherry

I think this might be the color you’re looking for in a rattle can.