Ford wiring rubber 'blob' covering .......?

I’m sure that many ( all ? ) of the members have seen one of these when working on the wiring in our Cougars. This is from the speed / “cruise” control ( a spare I have ) under-dash wiring for my 1969 Cougar XR-7. I believe I’ve also seen this on the later version ( D1WY ) of the taillight sequence box in the trunk of my 1971 T-bird .
Can someone confirm whether this is a Ford version of a ‘proto-shrink wrap’ where the one wire splits into two - in the case of the speed control the dark blue wire splits into two green wires.

Could it be that the solder connection is under this rubber protective ‘blob’ ?

gah,
I have that same connector on my original '69 as well. What I find interesting is that the wiring diagram shows it for Mustang only. I’ve asked the mustang guys, but nobody knows anything about it. So, your guess as to why it’s there is a mystery. Can’t find any part number associated with it either.
Curious to know if anyone here has any additional info.

Hi Trixie, not surprised that it shows for the Mustangs only, as all the speed control parts are "C9ZZ … " - originally designed and engineered for the Mustang. Since the ‘blob’ is part of the wiring itself, I wouldn’t think you’d find a separate p/n for it. Hopefully other members have seen this, maybe someone has even opened or cut into one as part of a wiring repair / update ?

It is a factory connection. I’ve pulled one apart & found a solder union between 3 or more wires. These are found all over the car, more in the eng bay.

1 Like

Thanks for the confirmation, Cougar_Bill. That will help me when I set about to ‘replicate’ the look of that kind of factory connection.

Vic has a place that make harness’s & the wiring ends for our Cougar items. These were molded when the harness & ends were made. Maybe contact him for ideas how to replicate them.

Vic who?

I’d like to find someone who can put the molded bullet connectors on wires.

Victor --this guy Cougars Unlimited LLC Home Page

I don’t believe he will be able to provide this custom service. He contracts w/ manfacture to make up harness like 1967 to 1970 eng bay, Underdash, and some smaller ones. These are usually done in batches of 25 at a high cost. There are the ones he sells to all vendors selling replacement harness like, NPD, WCCC, and all others.

If the harness your looking for is not reproduced, maybe you could make up a mold & use “Plastic Coat” product to mimic the union coating/cover.

Hope this helps you & others, Bill

That would be a splice where one circuits is split into multiples, In todays vehicles the splices are made much more compact and streamed lined method but the same principle applies.