Found R-Code 1968 Cougar Today

Wow - that is an incredible find - and during the Cobra Jet’s 50th anniversary year.

Basically the same Cougar I depicted on the 50th Anniversary shirts that I did for the CCOA (see below).

Some more pictures when you get the Cougar home would be great!

Well perhaps Jim is following along on this thread and can explain the difference in the numbers. I know that I would like to know so if I need to I can make the correction in my book.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

+1 on this. So what are your plans for the cars? And no, I am not asking to purchase either one. Although I am sure that there are plenty of others here that would be. The R code looks like a close twin to the car Royce is currently restoring. Although his might be an XR-7, I do not remember.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

I know Royce from the old Vintage Mustang Forums. I used to go by “DustyRelics” and was known for finding cool cars and great deals.

I personally can not afford to restore this car to the level it deserves. I will be allowing a member here to make an offer and if we can’t come together I will auction it once I determine what is still with the car and what is missing. I have not been able to find a single one that sold.

You can follow along on Royce’s restoration here:

https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/68-r-code/8891/1

• Phillip

Wow, awesome find and deal!

That is really cool, was the car known to the registry? At some point it would be cool to let the previous owner take it for a spin once you get it going. The Cyclone is a super cool find as well, what are your plans for it? Any pics?

Here are some pics of the extraction. Has a VERY rusty roof that will need a donor roof and of course floors and Torque Boxes. Car has drag racing slicks on the rear. All tires held air but the left front did not want to turn. Non-power drum brakes! The buck tag made an appearance today too. Can anyone decode it? I mean it’s kind of obvious at this point what it has, but I would still like to know how to decode it.
IMG_3872 (1).jpg
IMG_3848.jpg
IMG_3869.jpg
IMG_3866.jpg
IMG_3864.jpg
IMG_3845.jpg
IMG_3857.jpg

It includes all. You have a very rare car. Welcome to the club!

Very nice find! If you don’t mind me asking, where in Florida was it located?

Bradenton near Sarasota

I’ll take a shot at your buck tag -

According to Kevin Marti’s Mustang and Cougar Tagbook:

Upper left is your VIN which identifies the car as a standard 1968 Cougar built in Dearborn with a 428 Cobra Jet. It was the 74,921 Cougar built that year.

65A - Hardtop Standard Bucket Seats
T- Cardinal Red
192 - Rotation #
2A - Decor Buckets Seats, Black
BLACK - Black Vinyl Top
EX - Exterior Trim Package
RM - Rocker Moldings
PS - Power Steering
INT - Interior Trim Package
C - Internal Plant Code
and the DA may be the Inspector Code

• Phillip

Wow. Very Cool. Thank you.

Royce,
If the numbers in CBTN book are correct do you know where Jim Pinkerton came up with a higher total number?

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

It kind of looks like a CCOA sticker on the left rear quarter window.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Beats me.

very cool find! You stole that thing!

Question for anyone. It’s a factory 428CJ car, but not a GT option? I thought all 428CJ Cougars were GT cars, or came with the GT option?

It does not say it has the GT option on the Marti Report and has drum front brakes. So apparently you could get the CJ on a standard Cougar. And if you were going drag racing, why pay for the extra stuff.

I believe some of the Cougar 500s with the Cobra Jets had the GT option, and some did not.

• Phillip