Front Drum to Disk

Need a bit of direction. Swapping Front Drum to disk. The original holes for the master Cylinder measure at 3.6 inches across, but the new booster measures 3.8 across so i’m going to have to widen the holes in some manner. Anyone run into this? IWas hoping i could just re-use old holes as is but that isn’t going to happen. i need to make up .2 " east to west somehow.

Recommendations on how I make up those .2 and how to keep the position of the brakes appropriate?

https://youtu.be/H6959c6ayKI

I would watch this video first and then get the correct fitting booster from WCCC. It helped me immensely with my brake project.

You will be happier if you just get parts that fit to begin with. Each modification leads to a cascade of other modifications and pretty soon nothing works right and your down a lot of money and time.

Trust me, I have done it the wrong way enough times to regret it.

Waturi,

Since your car did not have power brakes from the factory, you will need to modify the firewall. Attached is a pdf file that shows the modifications required. My Cougar came with factory power drum brakes so when I converted to front disc brakes ( a very worthwhile upgrade in my opinion especially for a street driven car ), my firewall had already been modified by the factory. Also since you are switching from manual brakes to power, you will also have to modify the brake pedal hanger and install the power brake pedal. Also make sure you change your brake light switch to a brake light switch specifically made for the power brakes ( uses a lighter spring ).

Here is another thread that shows a Ford engineering drawing of the same modifications

Coach Jack
Booster installation template.pdf (140 KB)

That Diagram was VERY helpful. I managed to get the job done. Took it into the alignment shop. It was very hard to find a shop that would align my car for me!!! Anyway, had them check all my work and they managed to get it all aligned. I give myself a strong B…

Yeah, alignment is a issue, “The Machine” only goes back so far with alignment data and the shop won’t touch your car if it’s not in “The Machine”

I found a Hot Rod Shop, they asked if I wanted it set up for Racing or Driving… got my Business.

Waturi,

Good to hear that you got your brake conversion completed. Now take 'er out and enjoy the ride!!!

Coach Jack

Amen! I didn’t want to drive 40 minutes to a shop in NH that I trust, so I bought my friend lunch in return for access to a precision-level concrete pad at a MIT field site nearby. There on the slab I used my Judson caster & camber gauge plus a tape measure for toe-in and did it myself.

When you’re doing it on all new from end parts, everything moves nicely, of course.

Glad to hear you’re moving forward!!

R.B.