Funny Fuel gauge...

This weekend my fuel gauge started acting up. This afternoon I took Ginger out for a drive toFort Casey on Whidbey Island https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fort-Casey-State-Park-Whidbey-Island/117570575000381. The gauge was showing empty. So I stopped and filled it up I could only get about 9 gallons in(22 galon tank). That brought it up to 1/8th tank. So I thought the float had gone bad. On my way back it went up to 1/6th tank. That blows out my theory. I’m open to suggestions as to what I need to look for.
FYI, I put some 600+ miles on her last weekend. On my way to WCCC open house it seemed fine, On the way home I left WCCC with about 1/2 tank. About 1/3rd of the way home I filled it up but din’t recall if I even looked at the gauge.

Reason for going to Fort Casey…

Granddaughter flying her Kite with cousins

And what a day to be out.

More interesting than the post is that you didn’t get any responses! I’m curious, what did you find out; I’m presuming you’ve fixed it since this post. Mine reads empty almost all the time; every once in awhile it comes to life and seems to read appropriately. I really haven’t investigated it yet, but it’s probably time.

Since then I installed a new reproduction sender. it’s junk. Reads full at full, but a half tank later it thinks it’s empty. I had Bill restore the original one, but have been far to lazy(busy) to put it in. Plus I don’t know if I have 11 gallons of gas or 2 making it a little iffy for draining it.

Thanks for the reply; fast too! I’ve been “guessing my gas” since I bought it, but it’s time to have a look see. I presume the dash pad has to come off to access the IVR?

When I got it finally back on the road, My car read half tank when full, empty when half tank…

I have used it a fair amount, this has improved the sender to 5/6ths when full.

I am not sure if it is getting cleaned up because I only put ethanol free high octane in it… or because the tank empties itself so quickly that it is working the sender. :thinking:

I recently had Bill restore two of mine. One car is all apart now, the other is on the road. It never read right with the original so I had put a repo in and like others have said its JUNK. I put the restored one in and it works awesome. Its so nice having a good gauge, I went several years with basically no gauge.

Badcat,when I decided to change mine I drove around near home with a couple gallon jerry can in the trunk to get me home which made it a bit better draining out the remaining fuel.

Yeah, no reason to put up with bad fuel sender. Bill does a fantastic job rebuilding and calibrating them at a very reasonable price! I had mine rebuilt the first time by somebody else at twice the cost for a half-assed job.