Getting the '68 Road Ready

Well I started out about a month ago just wanting to lower my car a bit and get things ready so I can take the car to get inspected so I can register it here in Texas. Then the spiral of “while i’m in there” really got going.

It started by re-arching the rear leaf springs to lower the car about an inch. I also wanted to add a posi, so I ordered a 3.55 center section from Quick Performance (should be here in a few weeks). On the front installed QA1 front Pro Coils. That lead to adding the Delrin Monoball strut ends, and while I was there knocking out the shelby drop. Since I had the opentracker order going, I added the Porterfield R4-S Pads and shoes all around. Doing that lead me to really dive into the brakes so I added the correct master cylinder with the RPV in the rear bowl as my brakes were always good, but never great.

After diving into all that, I also wanted to get the dash cluster lights working again so I went about opening that up where I then found a number of wires that weren’t terminated very well so I went through most of the dash wiring and resoldered connections as well as traced wires everywhere. I must not have something perfectly right because the charging system wasn’t working and rather than reinvent the wheel, I jumped into the 3g altenator conversion which which should be complete in the next day or two. Also I wanted to set myself up for the future, so I added a relay box in the engine bay with headlight, and horn relays as well as a relay so I can add a variety of switched accessories without splicing into the original harness. I added the WCCC halogen headlight setup and what an improvement in light output that is. I also wanted to clean up the plug wires, so I added some cut to length MSD wires and the taylor wire loom set, they really organize things for sure.

Today the clock to tach conversion, new steering wheel, and interior paint all should arrive from WCCC so I can get the dash painted and start the process of getting the interior reinstalled. Following the reinstall, I’ll just be waiting on the new center section, alignment, and registration! It’s been a busy past 4 weeks for sure.

Looks great

1 Like

It’s very satisfying to have the interior back together, painting the dash made a monumental difference for sure.

The headlight upgrade was really a huge improvement over the stock setup as well. Before/After below.

I’m really liking the stance, though the front end will come up about an inch or so from where it is now to level things out. The coil overs make it really easy to dial in though.

2 Likes

The car looks great! I’ve never seen a bench seat in one before, it’s probably more comfortable than the buckets. And all that work in such a short time. Kudos. My epic ‘while I’m in there’ is taking much longer. I’m in DFW. What part of TX are you located?

I’m between Austin and Waco. I work offshore so while I was away for 6 weeks I did a lot of planning on the things I wanted to knock out, so while i was on my 6 weeks off I was able to really get after it.

I have tried about 5 alignment shops around me but no one is wanting to do the alignment so I plan to buy the tools and knock that out myself while waiting for the center section to come in.