Goodyear E78-14 Tire

This spare tire was in the trunk of a 1967 XR7 that I am parting out. I am not sure if it is an original tire or not, maybe. You tell me. It is a Goodyear belted custom power cushion polyglas tubeless tire mounted on a plain standard black steel rim. It is a blackwall tire. I did find this on the backside of the tire, perhaps it is the date code, MJL5 DBN077. Does that make it a 1977 tire? I am not sure that it is really worth much, especially if it is from 1977 and not 1967. The tread on the tire is quite worn, it would not pass PA state inspection for street use. Since I need a price I will say $25. Shipping would be additional. Or you can pick it up. Thank you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Randy, it could be from 1977, but not because it has 077 on it. The way the 3 digit date code breaks down is the first two digits is for the week(07-February) and the third digit is the last digit in the year, so it could be '67, '77, '87 or '97. The tire manufacturers didn’t start using the four digit date code until 2000 (ie:5107 would be 51-51st week/'07-2007). John

John, thank you for the additional information. I learned something today.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

You’re welcome.