Great Sunday of family, racing, and cars

Sunday I went to Ed Yessaian’s phenomenally successful Ed Day Charity Challenge at New England Dragway! I helped Ed set up the trophy/registration table before the track opened and helped as needed.

I observed great racing, lots of drivers who were highly skilled, fantastic show cars (bigger field than last year!) to make the entire affair a grand happening (to use 1967 hippie-speak). Young families were there in numbers, walking around and getting introduced to our wonderful sport of drag racing. In competition, I got knocked out in round two when I broke out. The '68 ran well, losing little speed (less than predicted by density altitude) as the day warmed up to near 80F. Cougar ran 15 flat a number of times, but with my current milder tune did not hit a 14.

The picture shows the “Best In Show” winner of Tom Barger’s amazing '32 roadster, with my racing Cougar behind it. I call his car “School Of 1962 Rod & Custom Magazine” design, and it is sweet.

Your Cougar is way cooler :sunglasses: than a Chevy powered street rod. You should be parked in front of it.

Parked in front? Funny you should say that. The guy with the '32, nice as he was, arrived while I was in the staging lanes or downtrack and backed in to my former spot - there - and had to feel terrible when I returned. I let him stay!

Your kind words mean the world to a fellow Cougar owner. I share the feeling on Chevrolet mills used in pre-War Fords for no good reason. Absolutely no reason to use one, even if given to you free. Shoot, a Y-block would be perfect in that, and a nice light Ford SB best.

The fellow Tom admitted he has the boost so low on the BB chevrolet that, as I told him, it’s not a blower, it’s a CPAP machine…only way he can drive with his (again, why?) open rear axle.