GT-E Introductory Show Car 500033

Looks spectacular!! Especially your workbench!! :slight_smile:

+2! What was the time Al quoted? 10.69 in the 1/4? Me like! And it would be the engine that Dad made… Just my $0.02. You know me, anything but conformity, LOL.

Discovery

Around 1976 I started what for 30 years would be an exercise in futility trying to get my father to rebuild the engine in the GT-E. For the first ten years or so, there were always a fair number of people trying to buy the car. I shamelessly begged and pleaded at every turn for him never to sell the car. Apparently that meant something, as at that time it was just a car. Sure there was the realization that not many GT-E’s were produced and it was a kind of scarce. But it was a product of a bygone era of street racing and turning wrenches for a living. I guess the fact that his only son had an obsession with the car meant something. He was in fact fairly sentimental, something I never really knew until after he died. As I sorted through his things I was mystified by a brand new telephone book from 1985 that was put away in the old Autolite cabinet in the basement. It took me days to figure out that it was the very year that I had taken out my first yellow page ad for my business. I also found the name plate taken from the 1972 Maverick that was the first car I ever drove. You get the picture.
DSC_0076.JPG
DSC_0077.JPG
The Autolite cabinet that’s now in my garage and the nameplate

As time went on not only did the car remain forgotten, but he clearly didn’t want to be bothered about it either. Both I and people close to him were instructed not to talk about the car to anyone. I respected his wishes, but I was never willing to give up on seeing that car on the road again. I still spent time trying to convince him to work on it, even after I had moved out, married and had a couple kids. He never budged. But then came the late ‘90’s and a fantastic new invention called the Internet was discovered. It started for me as a new and innovative way to make a living. As everyone knows it quickly became much more. If I couldn’t get dad motivated on his car, I’d try to find one of my own. Now I could look everywhere from my desktop! I did manage a close encounter with one that had been sold only a few days before I saw the ad. All I remember is it was in CA and the guy had no idea what it was. His asking price was $10K. But there were pictures and it was the real deal.

Most importantly what came out of discovering the internet was stumbling on a website devoted to, of all things the Mercury Cougar GT-E. I’m going to put the time frame at around 2007 or 2008. So I sent an email to the registrar, Mr. Jim Pinkerton. Mr. Pinkerton was as polite and professional as anyone could imagine. But of course he shared very little information. I had yet to seek my father’s permission to discuss the car with anyone, but that was clearly my next step. As fate would have it, an acquaintance with a lack of discretion was attending the car show in Hershey, PA at this exact time. His name escapes me, details like that do make a better story. But who knew there would actually be one to tell. The location and the owner of the GT-E were revealed and word spread very quickly. I was actually at the house when the phone rang, talking to my dad about the GT-E registry. Imagine my surprise when I heard him repeat the name Jim Pinkerton. What was most interesting about the conversation was not that Jim had discovered yet another GT-E, but it was what he had to share. He knew the VIN number of the car and all the details about it some of which we were completely oblivious to. Most importantly was the fact that it is a pre-production show car. He also revealed that the car had a tilt-away wheel, which has never been functional and headrests which have always been missing.
DSC_0078.JPG
DSC_0079.JPG
Dad’s toolbox which resides in my garage and a sticker I gave him when I was a kid

It’s probably the fact that Mr. Pinkerton discovered the car and filled him in on a lot of details that led to my success in finally convincing him to restore the car. I took a day off work, called him and said “I coming over let’s work on the car.” Shockingly the response was “OK”.

From this point on time sort of stands still. We disassembled the engine, and brought the block to the machinist dad always used Jim Farrand. Farrand did the machine work in ’68 when dad bought the car. My father was not the type to pass around praise, but he said on more than one occasion that Farrands work was beyond reproach. The block was hot tanked, magged and had two sleeves put in. The original heads for the car had gone missing, foolishly lent to someone who didn’t return them. A set was purchased from Jim Pinkerton that had been rebuilt by Jack Tarner in OK. Before shelling out a pile of money for the heads, dad actually had a lengthy conversation with Tarner. I wish I had a recording of that. The assessment was he knows his stuff. I located and purchased an original crank from Andrew at Mag Mustangs. Things were off to a good start until the evening of Jan 12th, 2011. That night around 6 PM I got a phone call saying dad had a heart attack and passed away.

The GT-E after some much needed attention

Along with the car I languished in purgatory for quite a few years. I’ve never been afraid of a challenge and I’m no stranger to things mechanical. But this threw me for a loop. I wasn’t about to dive into rebuilding a 427 side oiler that I knew little about for a car that was nearly as important to me as one of my kids. And I wasn’t about to trust just anyone to do it for me. So I did nothing. Great plan. I had the thought that I would load the block and all the parts in my truck and bring them to Oklahoma. Tarner is clearly an FE expert, enough to impress my father, not easy to do. Phil Parcells offered to introduce me to the guy that did his 428. I seriously thought about that offer as well. But I didn’t get moving. Then I heard that Jack Tarner has dementia and is no longer doing engine work. I trust Phil’s judgement, but I didn’t know his guy and meeting him was unlikely to earn enough trust to bring all my stuff to him and leave it. So continuing to do nothing seemed like a viable option. Until I woke up one morning a few months ago and realized the walls were closing in. If I didn’t do something I was going to run completely out of options. And I’d be too damn old to even drive the car anyway. So I got in my truck and I drove to the machine shop that Farrand owned and ran. I’m not sure what I was expecting, but to my surprise he was actually there.
I walked in and reintroduced myself, I was sure he wouldn’t remember me, but he did. He is 80 years young and still comes to work every day. Not to get off on a tangent, but this guy might actually be the most interesting man in the world. His parents and his aunt and uncle ran the engine rebuilding shop for Ford Motor Company in Syracuse. He set the state record in the 1/8th mile in a ’51 Fiat that he built literally from spare parts. The fuel tank was part of an a/c unit the front end was part of a Coke machine. It ran 114 mph in the 1/8th. He sharpened ice skates for Olympic skaters while his daughter did the mix tapes for their routines. He worked at GE in projects related to the moon landings. He built audio speakers that are 97% efficient, he played some for me they sound amazing. A guy named Elton John used his equipment, maybe you’ve heard of him. And the guy is a walking encyclopedia. But best of all, dad trusted him so I guess I can too.

It’s difficult to see, but this pictures shows argent pinstripes which I would guess is unique to the show cars. I don’t recall seeing a Cardinal Red car without white stripes.

Another subtle difference, this car has the ’67 style lock knobs.

The odometer reads 54,332 however the actual mileage is approx. 46,182 adjusted for tire size and rear end gearing

That about brings us up to date on number 500033. Except for the plan. The chatter about a “day 2” restoration is certainly intriguing. I agonized long and hard about which direction to go. I would like the car to return to as it was made. At least as close as I can. And that was dads wish as well. But what he built and did with the car is not lost on me. So phase two is to build the engine that he did, at least as close as I can. I’ll use all his original parts with a 427 service block that I purchased and create a tribute. Then I get the best of both worlds.

It’s a great story and a good plan!

Al, fantastic story … thanks for sharing it!! This has got to be recorded and published somewhere (Bill, are you listening??) for future reading and enjoyment. I thought my story was good but this takes the cake!! Thanks Al. I also grew up with a father who enjoyed tinkering on cars so still do a bit myself as well, so can understand some of your sentiments. They become a whole lot more meaningful when “dad” is no longer there!!

This is a fantastic story. You may have forgotten some names, but that is part of the story. As we go through day to day life and intermix our hobbies and work details can get fuzzy. I can’t wait for the next chapter in the life of GTE #500033

Thanks guys. I’m not sure why my Marti got flipped. I’ll repost it when I get a chance. Or maybe Bill can fix it.

Great stuff, fascinating to read. Thanks for taking the time to share the story!

Insignificant thing, but that door lock knob isn’t a regular 67 or 68 knob. Could it be that the new smoothed-over 68 versions weren’t ready yet, and these random ones were put on for the show circuit? Or maybe they just got replaced at some point. But anyway, this is what the 67 knobs look like:

Only true Cougar nerds would give a crap about such a thing, but there you go.

Anyway I think the direction you’re planning to go sounds good. Bringing the car back to new, but also keeping a tribute to your dad alongside it. That way you can thrash the tribute car and not feel too bad about it :laughing:

I think you’ve come up with a great plan. My bet is Dad would approve. I’m glad you have the urge now to put it into action. Everything in its right time. We’re here to cheer you along!

:paw_prints:
Love the story of #33. It was interesting to see the argent pin stripes as it would have been neat if all GT-E’s had them.

It was great to read the story and learn about the history.

I am waiting for your continued tale and see your progress for the restoration.

www.CougarClub.org

:paw_prints:

A little more progress to report. I’ll let the pictures do the talking.

I love every part of this story. Well told pal, and thanks.

Day 1 vs. Day 2 vs. just a mechanical restoration: any route that brings it back to life is a good one.

Progress is still being made, but not a lot to show in pictures. It will get more interesting soon as the heads get installed.

Windage tray is always a great idea.

+1 and even more important on a hydraulic lifter engine. Better yet if the windage tray has crank scrappers.

I would hate for it to scrap my crank! :mrgreen:

A bit more to look at this time around. The bottom end is buttoned up and the heads and intake are installed.