GTE carb

Good afternoon all,
I just signed onto the forum. I do not own a GTE, but I do own a 1969 Buick GS 400 convertible and know first hand how difficult it can be to find parts for our 1 year production cars. With that being said I have aquired a Holley C8AF-9510-AD, List 4088 with a date code of 834, the metering blocks are 4841 & 8543
It is my belief that this carb belongs on a GTE, am I correct in assuming this? It is complete but I’m pretty sure it could use a good going over.

You would be correct. One of the metering blocks is wrong (8543). I guess I’ll be the first to ask if you’re interested in selling it?

Hi Al,
That is my intention, but I don’t think this is the proper place for that discussion. Don’t want to violate any rules on my first day here. Lol
May I ask, what would the proper metering block be? I got this carb as part of a swap deal and have a box of misc. parts it could be in.

5169 would be correct. There will be a lot of guys here that would be interested I’m sure. We don’t have any rules against offering desirable parts for our cars. In fact it’s encouraged. :smiley:

I’ll dig through the boxes and see if a 5169 block is in there. I will try and do a little research on what a fair for all asking price would be and go from there.

Thank you

I have browsed the internet looking at what these carbs sell for so I have a good idea of what it should sell for.

Here is a link to view pictures of the carb for sale. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sNnPTSjJX9Zq6YKQ8

Before I offer it up on ebay I’m going to offer it for sale here but I am first asking for guidance from the forum members here on how best to do it here in this forum. Open forum bidding/best offer, through private messaging or another method suggestion ? Lenght of time to have this offer open ?

I have been an ebay seller since 1999 with a 100% feedback and would be happy to share that ID with the buyer for their comfort. I would accept cash, paypal, personal check or USPS money order. With any form of check payment item will ship when funds clear. Shipping is on buyer or pickup in suburbs of Detroit, Mi.

Thanks for being so considerate but we are pretty chill here. Just let it all hang out and if strong money does not surface within a few days I am sure you will get fair market value on ebay.

You need to decide an asking price based on what you’ve found and the condition of your offering. This is a fairly tight community, most here will not be interested in bidding against each other. If you want to leave it open for best offer if your asking price doesn’t work, that would be fine too. You won’t get jerked around here, all these people are straight shooters.

FOR SALE; Holley C8AF-9510-AD, List 4088 with a date code of 834, the metering blocks are 4841 & 8543
Here is a link to view pictures of the carb for sale. https://photos.app.goo.gl/sNnPTSjJX9Zq6YKQ8
You are welcome to come inspect the carb if you wish.

$750
I have been an ebay seller since 1999 with a 100% feedback and would be happy to share that ID with the buyer for their comfort. I will accept cash, paypal, personal check or USPS money order. With personal check or money order payment item will ship when funds clear. Shipping is on buyer or pickup in suburbs of Detroit, Mi.

One of the biggest problems of carbs this old is the threads in the float bowls for the needle and seat assemblies. They are repairable and I have done many. The next thing is the threads in the float bowls for the transfer tube adaptors and the fuel filter on the left corner of the front float bowl. These are not easily repaired and make the float bowls useless. You need to take close up pictures of these areas for the buyer who will be very disappointed if they are damaged and unusable. Many buyers do not know to look for this. I rebuild and rebush Holley carbs and ship across the country. I have seen very worn out carbs in these areas that are nearly worthless except for parts.

I just purchased a 4088 service carb from Royce that was perfect in all of these areas.

Rob

Rob, if you can point me to some pictures of the areas you mentioned I’d be happy to get some pictures of those areas of concern.

Thanks

Thanks Rob,

The Filter threads are perfect. I’ll get pictures of the other areas posted sometime this weekend.

I added photos of the areas Robert Campbell pointed out. All the threads are very nice, the one problem I found is that the needle and seat has been run all the way into the bore and I could not get ahold of it to remove it, I think it’s just snugged itself into the hole looking at it from the inside the threads look clean on the threaded part of the seat assembly, I’ll leave it for the buyer to remove.