Heading for Dearborn "Ginger's great advanture"

I will be heading out tomorrow afternoon on the longest drive I have ever taken in a Cougar, and I have owned a lot of them over the last 42 years. From Camano Island WA to the Nationals in Dearborn, My plan is to be running on US-2 through Washington, Idaho, Montana, If conditions permit I’ll visit Glacier National Park. North Dakota, Minnesota, Wisconsin in to Michigan. Then on to Route 41;.Along Lake Superior to the Sault ste. Marie area. Then I’ll be running down I-75 to Dearborn. I plan to be making a lot of unplanned stops on the way out. Mostly for photo ops and to enjoy the scenery. This is about a 2150 mile trip one way. I will be taking a ton of photos of this trip

I will be posting updates here and on Face book as I go. I feel confident that this car will handle this trip. If not I will also post that. Come what may. It is all an adventure.

Photo by Andrew Chenovick

Note, Planed time for heading o__ut has to do with current weather report and hoping to miss as much rain as I can.

Good Luck Neal, enjoy!

WOO HOO!!! I love this kind of stuff! Take us all with you!

That sounds awesome! It will be fun to see your pictures, and I’ll see you at Dearborn! Hope the cat doesn’t have any issues.

The longest trip I ever took my '68 on was when I moved from CA to OR back in 2011. About 900 miles, and I split it up into 3 days. This was when the car was still unrestored, with only basic maintenance having been done over the years, and a bit haggard in some areas. It was an absolute champion and didn’t give me any problems. I appreciated the V8 going up the mountain passes (having done an even longer trip the previous year in a 1.9L Opel) and even with just the 3 gears I was passing by trucks and getting about 18-21 highway MPG.

Enjoy the ride!

Have fun Neal. Will be tracking along on Google maps

Neal -

Hwy 2 will take you through my hometown - Duluth MN. Our plan is to leave Tuesday (6/6) in the evening or early Wed. am - heading to Manitowoc, WI and the S.S.Badger ferry across Lake Michigan. We’re taking the Mackinac bridge/south shore route on the way home after the show.

Lots of deer on Hwy 2 in Minnesota (and even more in Wisconsin). Be cautious at dusk and dawn.

Rob
Duluth, MN

Good luck Neal!

• Phillip

MrEos,
I thought I had replied to you on the Classic cats caravan page. But it disappeared. I think I’ll be in Duluth on Monday afternoon sometime. ZI’d love to get together for a little while. But I want to go on the upper peninsula on my way out. I want to stop in Brimley just west of Suite Ste. Marie. I lived there back in the winter of 1962/63.

I’ll PM you my cell number. I totally get it, though, if you decide to motor thru without stopping. If you stop, I’m sure I can find a beverage or burger to your liking.

Route 2 will take him through my hometown too! Airway Heights, WA! Quite a bit bigger now than when I lived there.

Safe travels, Neal! See you and Ginger in Dearborn!

Enjoy the ride

Just a few more hours and I’m on the road. The car is ready and I’m almost finished packing it. I made a little display board to go with Ginger.

I think it will look good out in front of the car.

I am really anxious to hit the road. And so looking forward to meeting people I have been talking with here in person and seeing everyone’s Cougars. I’ll be posting here each evening and on facebook more real time as I don’t mind doing that with the phone.
See ya!

What a great adventure Neal. Enjoy your trip. I’m looking forward to seeing your pictures. Drive safe.
Steven

Well, I made it to the Spokane area(Airway Heights) today. Went later in to the night then I had planed. But the car is running well. Here are some pictures from along the way.

I’m hitting the hay. More to come.

Have a nice safe trip Neal & see you in Dearborn! Stop at the big spring in the U.P that’s nice to see along us 2 http://www.exploringthenorth.com/bigspring/spring.html

Also the vintage snowmobile museum in Naubinway Mi on us 2
http://www.snowmobilemuseum.com/

Eat a Pastie while visiting the U.P.

Thanks Brian. I’ll look in to them.

Edit; Never mind on the dash cam vidios, I had music playing and Youtube blocked them.
Here are a couple dash cam videos from yesterday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxVlaIpBZMw
Stevens Pass. nearing the summit western side

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnDOJplRnC4&feature=youtu.be

Tumwater canyon eastern Stevens pass.

Great to see enjoying their cats the way they were meant to be. Driven! stay safe and have fun. That is one good looking '70. gorgeous car.

Got here late. Neal there is so much sh…stuff to see and do in Michigan alone let alone all the the other states. If nothing else, once you cross the “Mighty Mac” bridge get off on the first exit and go about a block and a half east of the bridge. There is a little park along the water that has several photo opps. You will know you’re close when you see a small light house. Imeadially west of the bridge is a 17 century fort that has photo opps as well. I could go on and on. Anyway, safe travels and be sure to bring us some pasties and Mackinaw fudge. You will figure that out when you get there. DRIVE SAFE! It will be my pleasure to welcome you to Michigan and Dearborn.

Thanks Gary, I’ll do that. Here is today’s update.
Here we are at the Idaho border at Priest River. The weather has been good. Lots of clouds but no rain. I’ll take it.

Up the road a few miles I saw this art work. Someone from the city must have stopped by…

In to Montana. I didn’t see a Welcome sign, I must have missed it.

I stopped to take pictures of the mountains and spotted this, It doesn’t look like Road kill.

Finally out in to the planes, what a view.

And after a fairly long day I’m in Shelby Montana. Wow, look at that, I have a jewelry store.

And an all American meal at the local burger spot.

here, A dash cam up by the mirror, A Garmin on the dash and my cell phone set up for playing music on the console. A cooler with ice, water and ice tea. That ugly seat cover is to protect the seat and help hold an extra seat cushion in place.

Ginger has been getting a little abuse so far. I will need to get her a bath and get that interior cleaned out. I have plenty of elect
I’ll be hitting bed a few hours earlier then last night, I can use it too. Tomorrows plans are to get to Williston N.D. But I may stop earlier some place in eastern Montana.

Like like like! Keep it up Neal!