Help! Gunned it cold now engine is rough

Ok. Bad idea. I have a 76 cougar. Let some friends take her for a spin without warming up the engine. She was gunned and the engine popped. I thought it was just back up in the carburetor, but when I went to drive her home she choked out on idle. She eventually got going but she’s chugging and sounding real rough. I’ll bring her in for a lookover but was just trying to get some input on what I may be in for. Any input, as always, appreciated

My bet would be worn timing chain/gears caused your timing chain to slip.

She got home ok, and didn’t seem to be a major loss of power, basically she juddered and sounded rough but went pretty good. I’m not a mechanic so my concern was that major damage may have occurred. Is the problem youre suggesting a major fix? Thanks for the reply

If the carb has a power valve the “pop” may have ruptured the diaphragm in the power valve. Is it running rich (black smoke in exhaust) all of a sudden?

If the carb has a power valve the “pop” may have ruptured the diaphragm in the power valve. Is it running rich (black smoke in exhaust) all of a sudden?

Started her up this morning, it wanted to choke out on idle unless i kept the gas going. Still juddering engine but no signs of black smoke from the exhaust.

Another thought - mine ran just like that when sediment plugged up the carburetor idle circuits. It would backfire through carb, wouldn’t idle, had to keep pumping the accelerator for more fuel, but would run ok on the road. Pull the top off the carb and look for sediment in the bottom of the bowl. If you’ve got it, carb needs rebuilt and probably time to replace the entire fuel system.

Thanks for the input, my feeling is it’s carburetor related. I’m going to get it looked at by a professional and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna have to wat a big bill on this one :frowning:

It’s possible you stuck a valve in a guide and the piston bent a valve. Get a vacuum gauge on the engine at idle and see what it says. If steady, then the suggestion about a power valve is certainly plausible, if the gauge is bouncing rapidly, bent valve.

Thanks, I’ll look into that. I actually started it today and noticed the air cleaner was loose, I shut it off, tightened andcwhen I started the engine again there was another loud pop like gas escaping but the engine kept running and was no longer stalling, still felt a little rough though

Busted vacum seal was all it was. Cheap and quick repair, thanks all