Hi All! New guy here

I just want to say “Hi” & introduce myself.

My name is Mark, and I’m looking for my first Cougar. I’ve been a Ford guy most of my life (thanks to my Granpa), and currently have a 65 Ranchero as my daily driver. Now that I’m retired, I don’t have to drive long miles for work, so I can have “toys” to play with. The Ranchero is a solid driver, but needs a bit of fixing up now and then, so while it’s away, I’d like to find a 67 or 68 Cougar to drive too.

I live on the Central Coast of California, a bit out in the boonies, and don’t see many Cougars around here. I take the Ranchero to cars & coffee things once in a while, and have yet to see an early cat. I’m hoping to find some folks on here that might be in my area (just north of Santaa Maria, Ca)

Unfortunately, I don’t have a ton of money in my pocket to be able to go and pay cash, so I’m doing the financing thing, which means a couple of hoops for the seller (an appraisal for one, and direct deposit rather than cash in hand), and that seems to make some here think I may be a scammer. I can understand that, but I really am looking. I almost had one today, a Tiffany Blue 67 in Iowa (Florida car, supposedly) at a dealership, but it was sold out from underneath me while the loan was processing (only took 3 hours, but somebody had cash), so I’m still on the hunt.

I’m still figuring out how to navigate this site, so I hope I’m posting in the right place.

That was probably Duffy’s in Cedar Rapids. They deal in alot older muscle cars and collectibles.

It was Kinion’s. I wasn’t really happy about it, but I guess it wasn’t the right car for me.

Dude

How are you buying a car in Iowa when your “Loan!” Is only for California?

You’re not making sense. This is a copy from your other thread to me.

(You’re absolutely correct! Thank you for the link to your car. As you mentioned in my WTB ad, I’m new to the site, and looked at the wrong car. I was looking at a basket case in Stockton. You have a nice car. As I mentioned before, I’m pre-approved for a loan for a Cougar. Part of those limitations are it needs to have an appraisal (which I would pay for, of course), and it be located in California

Meanwhile my car isn’t going to this guy!

Because I got a new loan from JJ Best so I could buy out of state.

I’ll bite :wink:

$14,000 and you show up with cash and your appraiser at the same time.

If your short on cash and ranchero in the shop

How are you going to pay the loan?

:popcorn:

1 Like

I don’t have an appraiser. Any shop can do it. After all the hassles I’m getting from private sellers, I’m having to resort to Dealerships.

I don’t have enough cash to buy a decent Cougar, but do I have enough to put in a new headliner for the Ranchero.

You are bound and determined to prove I’m a scammer. Good luck with that.

At this point, with your attitude, I wouldn’t buy your car for $100.

You do have to understand the reservation of most sellers when your trying to buy something in this manner online. Not saying your a scammer but I wouldn’t be comfortable with this type of deal either. I would take cash in hand face to face all day long first before this scenario.

I would suggest showing up in person to view the car first. If its something you want to buy explain to the owner your situation and how you need to make the deal happen. Go with them for the appraisal/inspection then again meet up during the money transfer preferably at a bank to verify funds are legit. Anything less leads to suspicion of a scam. Another thing I would not try and haggle price either since your asking the owner to jump through extra hoops to make the sale when he could simply take a cash in hand offer instead and be done with the deal.

2 Likes

DieselD, I do understand, and that’s why I’ve decided I need to go thru a Dealership. It’s too much of a pain for a private seller. This is a learning experience for me, since I’ve never done it this way, either.

Yeah, that’s alot for a seller to take on. It’s a shame we live in a world full of scammers, but we do, and it affects us all.

Good luck finding your Cougar! Just keep in mind you will now have two old cars needing lots of repairs in addition to the loan payment. So don’t get yourself in too deep.

1 Like