Holley 650 woes....

My 1969 XR7 is equipped with a Holley double pumper. Start up is interesting. 3 pumps if it has been sitting a few days. When it turns over, the idle is fairly rough for about 30 seconds blowing gray smoke, then smooths out and races too fast (2000 rpm) in my opinion. I wait a minute to kick her down to the intermediate cam and she is pretty stable. After another couple of minutes, I try kicking her down to final idle and when I do, she wants to stall unless I have slight pressure on the gas pedal. I adjusted the electric choke which is now at the middle notch. After she is thoroughly warmed up, she runs great. What type of adjustment should I try so that the final kick down doesn’t require gas pedal to keep her running for another4 or 5 minutes?

The choke needs to be adjusted every spring and every fall after the coldest or warmest temperature is met. You have to hold the throttle part way open and adjust the choke so it is just barely closed.

Thanks…I will try that and let you know how it works out

I troubleshoot for a living…only " Things with wings" so…lets stop theorizing and take big bites at what makes it run .
1st and easiest is run a bypass jumper from the battery to the positive side of the coil when its running poorly…this will eliminate the resistor wire tach ( if equipped) ignition switch, and feed harness. Yes…you should run a ballast resistor if you were going to run a few hundred miles this way, but we are troubleshooting. If this resolves your issue…you have just isolated the “BANG” of suck squeeze bang and blow. …Next a temporary fuel tank and a known good carb…in the past I have used outboard motor tank after blowing feed line clear with compressed air and plumbed thru the factory steel line …a 1 litre soda bottle shoved into the radiator support …a 3/8 fuel line pushed thru a hole drilled into the bottle cap and plumbed into the fuel pump inlet. A common cause of stop n go fault is a cracked steel fuel line or dry rotted rubber line that causes the fuel feed to suck air and " cavitate" the fuel feed …Good Luck !