Hood Stripes

Years ago I had 1968 Cougar XR7 (Black with red interior). I bought the car from my sister who had been the second owner. It had two features I didn’t quite understand. Instead of the Script XR7 emblems, it had the round type like the ones on the 69. Also, it had a red stripe in the middle of the hood. I don’t remember if the stripe was tape, but I don’t think it was. It appeared to be painted on. Does anyone know if the car came from the factory this way, or was these changes made by the dealer or first owner?

I have a 1967 XR7 (factory green with tan interior). I would like to put a tan or gold stripe on the hood. Would this be appropriate, and if so, can you buy the stripes anywhere?

Thanks

jbaughan

Without a time machine, the VIN, and/or photos of the car it is a bit hard to say if the different parts were factory or not. Most likely the badges and hood stripe were added after the car left the factory. However the 68 XR-7G did use a round emblem on the roof sail panel. It’s not the same emblem as used in 69 but it is about the same size. I have seen a hood stripe on 68 428 cars. Any chance that you have any old paperwork with the VIN on it? Or any old photos of the car? If not you can go to http://www.cougarclub.org for more information on the XR-7G. Perhaps you will see something there that will look like what your old car had.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

It would be appropriate if you would like to have the stripe. It would not be factory original as this was not available from the factory. You would need to either have the stripe painted on or have a local business produce a vinyl stripe for you.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

Randy:
Thank you for responding on this. I will check the web site as you advised. I know that one of the WCCC videos shows how to install a hood stripe on a later model big block Cougar.

Jbaughan

1968 Cougar’s didn’t come with a red hood stripe from the factory. The 428 R code Cougars did have a black hood stripe along with a black ram air hood scoop. Here are pictures of Bill’s 428 XR7G and a specific XR7G round type emplem.
Steven

Steven:
Thanks for your response. The stripe on the XR7-G is in the same location except my 68 did not have a hood scoop. Also, the round emblem was just like the ones on the 69 XR7s. I think the first owner must have had these added after he bought the car.

jbaughan