how far gone, is too far?

Today I went to l]ook at a 69 Convertible, in a scrap yard, in Aurora, Co. A friend of mine told me about it a month ago, but I was out with the omicron, and the weather was shite. I’m off this week, and took a look. Honestly, the rear quarters looked pretty good, it has the doors and a hood, missing the RF fender, and now ALL the suspension. No differential, or front upper and lower control arms. I’m not sure of the process to get it out of the yard, but I understand it can be done. The top frame/ mechanism is also now missing, and an expensive bit to buy, and ship. My head tells me to go ahead and save it, my wallet says run, run now and far.
What to do?
https://www.lkqpickyourpart.com/locations/LKQ_Pick_Your_Part_-_Aurora-230/recents/1969-mercury-cougar/

I have a lot of what it needs, and I know people (wink wink) that can help with what I don’t have.

And that is what is called a marriage wrecker! If it was a big block car perhaps but it just needs too much. If you got it likely you would never get it fully done since it needs so much. Run Forrest Run.

I hear what you’re saying, but still, the thing that killed saving things like this car in the past, was lack of replacement sheet metal. And the quarters on this car are solid.I also still have to research getting a new title issued, as this one has been killed off in the data base of the state DMV. I will go look at it again before I buy it. And I will get it cheap. I talked to the manager there, and he has a soft spot for the old cars. It still has original engine and trans in the veh, and the hood, though bent, is also there. And as an added bonus, my wife is never here, so she probably won’t notice it sitting beside the shed…I’ll tell her the 67 and 68 got busy, and this is what happens when you leave two Cougars alone for too long!

Yeah, That must be what happens…

And if it isn’t it’s still a great story.

Parts only. I looked at shells and then the cost of replacing everything except metal and the numbers didn’t work out. If it is your long lost first car and you have a bucket full of money, do it. Otherwise, keep looking. I put a limit on the fact that I could drive it around the block before I would buy it and had to be patient for years. Now she’s in the garage and I don’t regret the wait.

Woodsnake,

you ask a question, youll get 50 different answers from 50 different people. Do what you feel is right. Youll save a convertible from getting crushed, but youll be upside down trying to save it. If you got a soft spot for this car then i am all for you saving it. If its to far gone and you want to part it out then youll make your money back and then some. Good luck whatever you decide.

thanks
pat

This is likely not going to be a popular answer. Think of it as more of a “tough love” scenario.

You’ve been a member on these boards for, I believe, as long as I have been. That’s closing in on 20 years if not longer. I don’t recall during that time seeing a car that you’ve finished. I know that you’ve been working on one, or more, but I don’t recall anything along the lines of, “Hey, we took the 69 to so-and-so place today and had a blast!”

Please correct me if I’m wrong if you do have finished projects. If not, then I think your time would be better spent on what you already have rather than opening a new can of worms with this basket case.

local hero, you are right. I do have three projects. The 67 is getting sheet metal done now, the 68 only has a pinion seal leak to get back on the road, and the 69 only needs the hyd clutch figured out.
But the voice in my head says get it. The same voice that told me to NOT buy the 2006 F-150 that has cost me 20K and is still in the shop. I will probably pass, just because I know you are right. But I’m not in it flip it, I’m in it to enjoy them, and that includes the search for parts, and those small wins that come along with any project. Even the stupid hassles.
I’m making progress!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo4K4eINrg8

That’s great advice. It’s not any that I would follow, but you’re correct. :smiley: