How long did it take to find your car.

How long did it take you to find your Cougar?

• I wasn’t looking / it found me.
  • Less than one week.
  • One week to one month.
  • One to three months.
  • Three months to one year.
  • More than one year.
  • Still looking.

0 voters

How long did it take to find your Cougar?

I looked for a couple of years for my Cougar. About seven full years passed between getting Cougar fever and buying my current Cougar. Cougars never really left my blood after having my first, so I’m glad I found my cat. It was worth the wait.
Steven

Are we supposed to stop looking? LOL! I don’t care how many Cougars you have you never know what might be out there…

“Daydreamed” for a long time, but, once I decided to pull the trigger, the deal went down in less than a week…still send the PO pics on occasion.

Me: Hey, did you find any more parts for that '65 Mercedes you sold me?
Mechanic: No, but I have this Cougar.
Me: SOLD!

15 years, though I never expected to actually find it; it had been totaled shortly after I sold it … in 1974!!

I don’t remember exactly but I wanna say around a month or so from the time I posted on MCN that I was looking for one until the day I bought mine. Total dumb luck that my car came up for sale here in the Chicago burbs right when I was looking. The day I went to check it out (and immediately pull the trigger) the PO said they had to call the guy from the west coast to tell him not to bother to fly out. I could easily have missed it by a day. Dumb luck. Love it.

Took me a few years since 86’ the neighbor had a 67 but his buddy had a sweet 69 eliminator, I almost had one in 89 but the seller decided that the deposit I put down on it wasnt good enough and sold the car to someone else for more cash. Got the cash back and kept looking. While I was in the Army almost bought a 70 vert from a guy out in Tx near Ft.Bliss but I was getting sent to germany in a few months so I didnt buy it. Eventually I bought a Harley sportster and sold it to a german buddy when I left for more than I bought it for. Needless to say life took over when I got out, kept looking but not actively. Saw a real POS 67 that some kid was trying to sell, it was in worse shape than E-Bobs Vert. Talked to the wife a bit and decided that it was time, did the search and looked at quite a few of em but they werent the 69 that I wanted. I almost settled for a decent 68 then I saw an ad on Craigslist - with no pictures but was within my cash range. Sent em an email they sent me pictures - my jaw dropped, I called em up made sure that we were talking about the same car and made an appointment to go out and see it. We went and checked it out, met the owners - (it was more of an interview process really), we haggled a bit becuase there were a few issues that needed to be worked on. Agreed on a price and I drove it home with no break booster,no powersteering and a small radiator and vaccume leak, and no turn signals.
Its all been fixed except now I am haveing wireing issues here and there due to brittle wires and bad spliceing from the PO. - Wouldnt trade for anything.

I had a paper route at the time (age 12) and my only concern was which bicycle I was going to build next out of garbage picked parts to keep me mobile, when my dad told me that Grandpa was going to buy a new car and he was going to give us his busted up Cougar.

Well… umm… OK…

I had ZERO clue that this would turn into something that I would be spending the rest of my life being involved with.

I had been looking on and off for a couple of years at Cougars on ebay. Usually when I was offshore and peer pressure mounts to start buying things after being gone for a few weeks.

I saw the pics of mine on ebay and the white interior sold me as soon as I saw it. 2 bids and some nail biting due to a slow internet connection later and it was mine.

Sent a paypal down payment and took the car trailer to Houston when I got home and picked it up.

Of course, everywhere we stopped on the way home I was asked if it was for sale…

Once I convinced my wife that I needed another toy car, I’ve got my Marauder, it didn’t take too long. But there were a few months for the warm up and then the find.

Took a little more than a year, but I was selective in that I wanted a good body/no rust, Was willing to do some mechanical work & even have it repainted. The search was 1/2 the fun for me… Wound up being less than 200 miles away.
Enjoyed it for 7 years as I got it back into good running shape and just sold it. I know I’ll hate myself in the spring but time to move on to the next project (unfortunately I do not have the time/cash for a collection - just 1 at a time). I hope the new owner enjoys it at least 1/2 as much as I did.

This was the 3rd 1970 I’ve had, maybe a 69 next time. Really liked the bullet rockers the previous owner had on this 70 (even though it was a 69 only option), so maybe a 69 sport version.

My thoughts exactly. It stresses me out to keep 5-6 cars insured, stored and maintained. I enjoy the hunt and the tidy up process, even the auctioning process can be fun albeit nerve wracking at times. Yes I will miss it when it goes down the road but one funds the next and so on. My experience is that if your heart is not racing and you cannot wait another second to leave a deposit then that is not the right one. If you have to “think about it” and write out a pros and cons list, you in the end will be disappointed when you uncover the unknown problems every car seems to have.
67c1.jpg

My Cougar sorta found me.