I have one of your engines

Hi guys,
I’m new to this forum but I thought I’d check in to to give you a heads up that I have what may be a W-code side oiler in my ‘69 Torino Cobra. I bought the bare block a few years ago from a guy in Salt Lake City. It is a hydraulic lifter side oiler with the date code 8C1. No ribs cast in so not likely a service block. Right now it is built up as a 482 cu in stroker.
Any thoughts?

Any chance it has a VIN number?

Not that I have seen, but then again, I haven’t really looked for one. It has an “I” scratch and someone stamped “C. Hamm” in front of #1 cylinder. Where would I look for the VIN?

From what I understand the most likely place would be on one of the cylinder heads. Of course it would have to have the originals. I’m sure someone will chime in on where to check on the block.

I have a clear photo of the back of the block with the bellhousing removed and I see no evidence of a vin stamped on any of the pads. The original heads are long gone, I bought the bare block with main caps only.
Anyhow, I thought I’d start the conversation since this car will be up for sale soon and I’d like to provide potential buyers with more info about the provenance of this engine. After 50+ years and what surely was a colorful life it may not be possible…

The pad in the circle is where it could be. It may also have been on the head directly above that pad.

If you don’t have the original heads then a VIN may never be able to be attributed to this block. But you do have a great engine here.

Thanks! It may not have a VIN but, based on the March 1 1968 date code, could it be a Cougar W-code or was it manufactured too late in the year?

Here’s some eye candy…

Although rare, the driver’s side and back side of the block, just below the deck is where a few blocks were stamped with the partial VIN. My GT-E block (shown below) was stamped there, but I think it was a mistake made by a factory worker in engine ass’y in early '68. I believe they were supposed to be stamped on the cylinder head and that’s where the majority on VIN stamps have been found. Mine was stamped with 8F (1968 Dearborn plant) with one type of font, seemingly at an early stage during engine assembly, then the last 6 digits of the VIN was stamped with a different font type after the 8F. This leads me to believe that several 427’s were assembled closely together and then the 8F was stamped and the engines were ready for installation into the body. Later on, right before they were installed into the cars, the remaining 6 VIN numbers, particular to that GT-E, were stamped onto the assembled engines by someone on the ass’y line…my best guess.

I’ll let Royce or Pink chime in on whether or not your cast date code is correct for a late GT-E. I have kept a few Marti Reports over the years and
from those few the latest 427 GT-E “ACTUALLY BUILT” date I show was Mar 6, 1968 for a Lime Frost STD Cougar. I’m sure some were built later but not many would be my guess.

My guess is you have a real GT-E block, Sir. Are you going to sell it?

Yes, but with a ‘69 R-code Torino Cobra attached! :grin:
Seriously, I will let you guys know when the car is available in a couple of months - I am currently out of town. As I previously said I’m trying to figure out where this sorta oddball sideoiler came from. The car had another hydraulic lifter sideoiler installed previously that was easily identified as a service block by the cast-in ribs but this one had me scratching my head.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1968-ford-427-side-oiler-engine-no-reserve/

This partial Vin number, whatever it turns out to be is stamped on the block itself. To my knowledge none of the production W code GT-Es were stamped; in fact, I’m not sure they even had the casting boss on which to stamp a number.

That said, since we only have 5 digits to go on (and who knows which of the kids is missing), it looks to me like either 535… or 538…
There were 9 GT-Es built with the first 3 digits 535 and all of them were scheduled production dates 05B; there were no W code 427 GT-Es with the 583… designations.

So, barring further evidence to the contrary my guess is that this is not a production GT-E 427 block; but, “who knows for sure?”

We are all hoping our contact with this information can turn up some more clues.

Jim Pinkerton
Cougar GT-E Registrar

Most 427 GT-E’s were built prior to the end of February 1968. Your block would be too late for any of those cars. On the other hand a couple dozen of the 427 GT-E’s were built after March 1, 1968. To have been used in a production car a block would typically need at least a month between the casting date and the installation in a car.

There is an assembly date code stamped on the block if it was used in production. It will be on the rear left hand boss just below where the cylinder head sits. Not on the rear face of the block, but on the rear of the LH side of the block on the square protruding boss.

Here’s a photo of an 8E 3F Inspectors date code from one of my cars.

block assembly date.jpg

Hi Jim,

The photo I posted was from Red Henry’s Nordic Blue GT-E. The actual last two digits are 24. It’s just really difficult to read because the numbers were not punched well. In fact, two of the numbers were nearly punched on top of each other.

Well that explains why nothing adds up. It also might explain the nearly unreadable stamping as someone very well may have “added” this partial VIN to the block boss. Thanks.

Jim

I’m not seeing any numbers stamped on the rear drivers side boss, but I’m just looking at my photos (the engine is back in the car). Once I get back to the US I’ll take a closer look. I wonder what this block was used for…maybe it was a service block after all?
Thanks for all your input btw, a fun mystery if nothing else :smiley:

It is hard to say where your block was used originally, but it is a nice date coded 427 SO block from early 1968. I would do what Royce suggested and look for the engine assembly date stamp. If it does not have that stamping, it would be hard to make the case your block is from an actual GT-E unless you knew the entire history of this block.

After checking some information, it lists a few GT-E’s with the W-code 427 were built up thru Apr-May and even June, albeit low numbers. I’m being vague because I am not sure what info I can share because it came from the GT-E registrar.

I remember when I was searching for a GT-E to purchase and more times than not the 427 engine was no longer with the car being sold. We know people removed the 427’s from GT-E’s for AC Cobra cars, Cobra kit car projects, for racing projects, Mustangs, etc…

Royce has previously commented on the various uses of the 1968 C8AE-A 427 side oiler block. You could purchase them over the counter at Ford dealerships for sure. They were also used in Chris Craft boats, used to power industrial water pumps, generators, etc…

Here is some additional information regarding VIN stamping of blocks in late '67 and 1968, and goes into the irregularity of the VIN stamping process on the production line. Although this is for the 428 FE blocks, it sheds some light on the VIN stamping practice during Ford at the time. This is from the 428 Cobra Jet Registry site, so thank you to the author.

Note also the flat pad in the upper left corner of the first picture (below). Starting in 1967 for the 1968 model year, Ford began stamping partial VIN information on production engine blocks to meet the requirements of Title 49, United States Code, Subtitle VI, Part C, Chapter 331 (effective January 1, 1968). This pad is where the information would often be stamped on a 428 CJ. The stamping is nearly impossible to see on this particular block, but knowing that those numbers are there gives new meaning to the term “matching numbers” when talking about Ford engines. Here’s a picture of one such partial VIN, 8F218357 (thanks again to Kerry Wortman). Note how irregular the stamping can be:

I’ve also received reports from people who have found partial VIN stampings on the rear of the driver’s side cylinder head. Given normal production line schedules and procedures I have no doubt that the person doing the stamping could put the marks in either place.
https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-block

[/quote] “I’ve also received reports from people who have found partial VIN stampings on the rear of the driver’s side cylinder head. Given normal production line schedules and procedures I have no doubt that the person doing the stamping could put the marks in either place.
https://www.428cobrajet.org/id-block
[/quote]

From my experience most of all vin stampings have been consistently on the back of the Driver’s side Cylinder head
Similar to the one pictured here

Just a heads up if any of you guys are interested in buying this engine, my 1969 Ford Cobra is on BringaTrailer right now at no reserve. :smiley:

How about a link?

I tried but the link didn’t post. You may need to search BaT. Here it is again…
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1969-ford-cobra/