Idler arm doesn't fit..what am I missing?

I’m a bit stumped. I bought this unit from WCCC : Idler Arm - Power Steering - PREMIUM - Repro ~ 1967 - 1970 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1970 Ford Mustang ( 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1967 Ford Mustang, 1968 Ford Mustang, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

But when trying to reassemble, the drag link end is way too big to slide into the idler arm’s cylinder…what am I missing here?

Do I want to be using this “import” piece instead, perhaps? : Idler Arm - Power Steering - Economy - Repro ~ 1967 - 1970 Mercury Cougar / 1967 - 1970 Ford Mustang ( 1967 Mercury Cougar, 1968 Mercury Cougar, 1969 Mercury Cougar, 1970 Mercury Cougar, 1967 Ford Mustang, 1968 Ford Mustang, 1969 Ford Mustang, 1970 Ford Mustang ) at West Coast Classic Cougar :: The Definitive 1967 - 1973 Mercury Cougar Parts Source

I called WCCC and left a message, but I’m way too impatient to wait on those guys :biggrin2:

Thanks!

When I fab’d up my front suspension I used the import piece you reference above and everything seemed to line up and fit fine but then again I’m no mechanic.

Looks like I’ve stumped 'em again, haha! I’ll have to take these parts all over there and we’ll scratch our heads together, unless someone here can come up with the solution :confused:

I’m pretty darned sure that the drag link is the original one…and the end is “fixed”…this is weird…

Maybe you have a mix of '70 and '68 parts?

I think I’ve got it!

There must be a sleeve still stuck on the end of the drag link…I looked at correct ones over at the warehouse and they all fit this new idler arm perfectly…looking back at a picture I just happen to have on my cell phone, I think the tip of the drag link looks to be different than those I just saw…hopefully it just means there is a sleeve on there that is bonded on and I didn’t notice it last night…either that or it is a completely different drag link and I’ve got some more PS detachments to make

Sometimes doing Cat work at late-night plays tricks on the mind…hope that is all it is! :crazy:

Question… What beverage were you consuming at the time?

:bonghitter: I think he is growing something besides lavender on that OR hill he lives on.

Haha…funny Guys…

Yeah, that was an embarrassing one. Haha…I literally could not see the other night. I have these new contact lenses that totally suck and, well, spent too much time with a wire brush, throwing stuff into my eyes to boot. Mistake #36. Well I now more than I ever wanted to know about drag links and Idler arms :wink:

My back is out of commission and my knuckles are bloody and my fingernails are all black this week and I haven’t slept comfortably since Saturday night…I’d still not trade the progress of this week for anything. Spindles and shields and new shocks got on last night (Damn those little shock washers and nut on the back side of the spring perches!!)…we’re gettin’ there! :ylsuper:

Now where in tarnation did I put that new PS Ram boot kit?? :unamused:

Contact lenses or swimming, there’s always an excuse… :grin34:

I am not sure if it was “what beverage” it is really a matter of “how many beverages?” Haha… sure is easy for me to pick on someone, but at the end of the day I am kinda jealous that he is able to go into it full bore and get some stuff done. As my cars sit and sit and sit… Good job!! Keep it up!

Thanks buddy…I have to say this is the most fun week I’ve had since we spent every night till 1am doing Gunner’s interior :beerchug: There’s something especially satisfying on this go-round, though, as I’m actually managing to do a lot of it “solo”. Sometimes repetition is good training :crazy:

Could be more satisfying since you’re keeping Blackie, too…?? Just a guess…

It doesn’t hurt :wink: But no, really I mean that is very satisfying to solve a puzzle on my own. I rely enough on other people for lots of stuff, it’s always extra exciting when I can figger something out and actually make progress without any help standing there holding my hand :buck:

Ahhhh, I’m with you, now. Can totally relate. :thumbup: