I'm literally living in the Garage..and love it!

Nah, the cat chased off -or ate- all the scorpions. Supposedly, my section of town is suppossed to be “under siege” by displaced rattlesnakes although I haven’t seen or heard any on my block. Time to get some shotshells for the .357 and the .44. Mmmmmm… tastes like spicy BBQ chicken.

“Why yes officer, a firearm WAS discharged on this property. Big ol’ diamondback was going after my son’s 4H project animals. But he should have the snakeskin belts put together in time for the next county fair!”

Okay, the scorpion-eating cat was a li’l white lie - she only goes after birds and small stray dogs. But the rattlesnake story is being repeated every couple-three days in the local media. Small-caliber shotshells actually are disappearing off shelves at the sporting goods stores and Wally World. No problem, I can cut open some leftover 12 ga shells from last dove hunting season. 15 grains of Pyrodex, a felt wad, and enough 7-1/2 shot to fill the chambers on my Remington black powder revolver; compress the load with an over-shot cardboard wad and another lubed felt, and we’re good to go. Following your lead, I’ll plaigerize a Hank Williams Jr song:
“…a country boy can survive. Country folks can survive.”

Damn Dawg… .22 is more sporting for both you and the snake. If you hit 'em right they sort of unzip right between the eyes. Just be sure of your back stop.

Sorry, Bill; but “sporting” goes out the window when the family animals are threatened. 15 grains (by volume) of Pyrodex P under approx 25 grains of #7-1/2 birdshot is about as sporting as I get with poisonous reptiles. (Remember, Saint Patrick chased all the snakes out of Ireland, and, well, I’m of Northern Irish stock and we love to make a big impression. Why use a BB gun when you have a handgun that can launch LOTS of BB’s on the same squeeze of the trigger?)
Even compressed, the shot load being talked about on the blackpowder forum at thehighroad.org and quoted by me in this thread doesn’t build a lot of pressure, which does two things:
1.) It doesn’t make as much noise as the same pistol makes when using 30-35 grains of powder to push a 150 grain .454 diameter soft lead ball that literally “shaves off a ring” when it’s pressed (more like swaged) into the chambers; and
2.) The lower pressure leads to lower velocity, which keeps the shot load from building up excessive spin when the shot travels through the pistol’s rifled barrel. At higher velocities, the shot develops as much spin as the LRB; which causes the shot pattern to open up and leave a “doughnut hole” in the middle of the pattern as printed on a paper or cardboard target.
Again, “sporting” doesn’t come into the picture when ol’ Mr. Buzzy-tail is threatening me and mine. Prior to my getting into black powder shooting; my ‘snake medicine’ was a 18-3/4" open choke barrel in place of the 28" full-ventilated-rib tube on my 12 gauge bird gun. But that’s too noisy on a block populated by no less than 5 LEO’s; and it can ruin a good hide if you want to make a nice hatband or belt. Most shot loads for small-bore or pistols uses a bullet-shaped “shot cup” to contain the shot until things start to go BANG; but plastic is a big no-no in most BP weapons, because it begins to melt at the higher ignition temperatures of black powder or its synthetic substitutes.

Besides that, loading six chambers using the hand-operated rammer that’s integral to my Remington replica takes A LOT longer than stuffing 10 CCI Stinger .22LR shotshells in my little Marlin semi-auto carbine and plinking away; so in that circumstance I AM being “sporting”.

(Unless, of course, there happened to be a spare cylinder laying around in a safe place, already loaded and capped and just waiting to be quick-changed into the Remington’s frame…) :whistle:

So Brian, how’s life in the garage with the li’l missus?

And what’s with this whole “mid-40’s sleeping in separate beds in the garage” deal?? :eh:
I’m 50 as of this past mid-January, and my wife passed that 5 weeks later; and we look forward to those times when ‘the last kid at home’ is spending the night with friends and we’re once again a “childless couple”. :mrgreen:

Just Sayin’

Good Night, all.

We’re back in the house, although it is still in shambles…These Home improvement projects can open up a lot of cans-O-worms!

On the sleeping thing…No comment…

…OK one comment-I sleep better when alone. Actually, we both do! But who said anything about the sleep being the fun part? Bow Chicka Wow Wow

:wink:

Yep, pretty much, it works out well for me…here is a pic of BAust buffing my truck! Good work! Good friend!

Hey my bald spot is shrinking! Woohoo, that Creme from China is working :slight_smile:

It might be time for some “Just for Men” action though…yikes…thanks a LOT

Hmmmm… I’ve heard that before; and I must be exactly 180 degrees out of sync with most of the world. After over 31 years sharing a bed with the same woman; I find myself not being able to sleep worth cr@p when she’s NOT next to me.

And the “rest”, well I’m not gonna talk about that either!

Dawg I saw this video and this could be an answer to you snake problem. Very funny, but effective! Honey Badger…he eats snakes. :laughing:
Steven

NSFW

That is awesome. Though you should maybe mention NSFW for language. And graphic. And awesome.

Point well taken, I wasn’t thinking. I edited my post.
Steven

My wife sent my that ‘honey badger’ link last year. Now everyone in her department at work has Honey Badger coffee mugs and WWHBD stickers - 'cause they don’t give a sh!t !!

Mug: