Image Attachments

I’ve noticed on some posts that images are turned sideways. I never had an issue with my posting of images till yesterday. I used my laptop and posted a picture of my Lincoln truck and my Cougar. Looking at it on my iPhone the image is sideways and on the computer it is facing the correct way. Why the difference between the two devices ?
https://cccforum.discoursehosting.net/t/vibration-at-70-mph/341/1
Steven

If I download and check your image in my photo editor, it tells me that the EXIF data for the image says it is rotated. That means when the image was taken, the EXIF data recorded that the image should be shown in a certain orientation. Computers are pretty good at reading the EXIF data and displaying the image as it’s intended, but mobile devices, not so much.

Jay I think I’m following you on this. I snapped the photo with my IPhone and then loaded on my computer to scale it down so it would meet the image requirements as an attachment. I didn’t rotate the image I just reduced the size. Maybe that’s where it went sideways. I’ve noticed this same issue just recently on another topic and it was commented on within the thread topic. Overall I’m ok with it being sideways it’s not the end of the world, others might wonder about it so that’s why I asked.
Steven

Don’t you just hate it when a plan goes sideways…

If you use an image editor like GIMP, which is open-source and free, by the way, when you open the image it will tell you that the EXIF data has it rotated, and you can opt to rotate the image. Then, when you crop it, scale, or whatever, and save it, it will be oriented correctly for all devices.

If you’d like to try it, download and install GIMP, then open the image in question. That’s how I figured out it was the EXIF data.

Definitely! When it comes to computers, though, I expect it.

Anyone that works in IT knows this to be an axiom.

Irfanview is also a free program that can do a lot of interesting stuff. With the add-ons, you can even tell what file size, or width/height you want resized and it does it.

It seems since the photo posting changes over the summer, I’m now having trouble posting pics to my responses.

No matter how small I make a photo and resave it, it keeps telling me the image is too large and it won’t let me attach it. I’m not using a hosting service. Rather I’m just trying to attach from my home computer.

Any suggestions?

Are you using the CCCGallery, or the Attachments tab in the editor? If you’re still using the Attachments tab, you might give the CCCGallery a try with an image that failed and see if it works for you. Let us know what you find out.

Yes, I had been using the attachment tab. It’s the way I had always done it. I’ll try the gallery. Thanks for the response.

I found if you convert the file to a .PNG format it will upload just fine. I could not upload Jpeg files.