Inside Headliner rust?

Hi everyone, I’ve tried finding answers on this but it might be very specific or downright logical. I just bought my first Cougar, 67 xr7, and it currently doesn’t have a headliner (new one came included in the sale which is nice). My main issue is that I’m 6’6 so I already touch the metal roof and have to slouch to see stoplights so I’m not planning on installing until I can lower my seating position. For now, I wish to clean off the old glue and spray paint the inside roof black (middle of red to black interior change) and add some insulation to help with this Texas heat. There seems to be surface rust around the sides and I was wondering if I should wire brush it off while my interior is under plastic wrap and spray paint it with some rustoleum protective enamel or do I skip that work and just spray it with duplicolor rust barrier or rustoleum rust reformer and put insulation on top? First time doing any sort of paint on a car so I want to learn the best and most convenient way of doing this. Thanks!

I had the same general deal with my '69. Cleaned it up and then coated it a rust barrier (like you mentioned). Then put my insulation barrier on. Should be good.

My 69 was far worse. Sanded it down and painted it with POR-15; worked very well.

My 70 vert had some surface rust like that behind the top storage well forward of the trunk lid. I just applied Naval Jelly with a stiff brush and wiped clean. I don’t wash it or drive in rain, and it hasn’t rusted again so far.

Thank you for the answers everyone! Will be giving it a try in the coming days

In video #12, I painted the inside of the roof using SEM Rust Trap. Similar to POR-15 and other moisture cured paints to apply over rust to seal it in. I then used some insulation that came as packing material with these ready to assemble ingredients for gourmet dinners. The interior of the car has been very reasonable in sound deadening. Some of this video —maybe all of it might be of interest to your project. If you like it, check out others in the series.

#12 Mercury Cougar Eliminator 445 Time is running out, will I make Carlisle? (youtube.com)

1 Like

If these cars have covered roofs be careful as rust will form underneath the covering and work all the way through