Instant message capability?

Is there a way to make an instant message capability for registered users who are online to talk back and forth?

That could cut down the possibility of posts going off topic.

Of course, when on topic, the back and forth jabs among friends are fun to read as well in the posts.

That would be pretty cool.

http://www.phpbb.com/customise/db/mod/mchat_new_version/

classiccougargarage.net has that in the form of “chatbox”…:thumbup:

tried that on CCG, and it was great fun!

Jay is checking into it!

Mini-Chat is installed. It may require some tweaking of the settings before we get it right. It looks like a well-designed extension, though it’s certainly going to suck up some server resources.

If its more of a hassle than a benefit, no worries. I didn’t think about the bandwidth and other resources factor of the idea.

That’s why you have me around. I think it’s worth giving it a try for a while and seeing how it goes.

I was thinking more of a way to send an instant message straight to someone if they are online at the same time as you, like a little popup in the corner of their screen. Like a true IM instead of a communal chat box. Just a faster way instead of the private messages option.

The PM system should do that. The catch is that there are people that have the site open, but minimized. They won’t know about the message unless the maximize the site again.