Interior Restoration Advice

I am acquiring pieces for my GTE restoration that I hope to start this coming winter. There are a few interior items I am looking to replace or have rebuilt.

Looking for recommendations for steering replacement or a quality service that can redo my existing properly.

Noticing the faces on the gauges are starting to crack. Any suggestions? Thinking to have rebuilt, any suggestions on a quality rebuild?

Lastly, upholstery, I have a white interior but have a few nasty seam tips and back seat top piece isnt doing so hot. I have read through some posts and want this to be a factory correct car when complete. So the question is, is there a correct cover kit for this and if so who has it? or is it better find quality upholstery shop and have them made?

You didn’t say whether it’s standard or XR7. In either case I would recommend Best in Show for your wheel. Their wood grain treatment is not 100% correct, but it actually looks nicer than the original.

I’m guessing it’s XR7 based on the gauge comment. There is an overlay kit you can purchase but personally I don’t like them since they aren’t an exact match. Better off to scour eBay for grade A gauges, they come up more often than you would think.

John’s Classic Cougars has an upholsterer that makes kits for your car. They aren’t cheap but they are correct quality reproductions.

Dont underestimate the power on 10,000 grit aluminum oxide polishing compound on those lenses.

Did you use anything special to rub it in? Terri cloth, micro fiber?

Yes it is a XR7. Thanks for the advice.

Large sized cotton polishing wheel on a variable speed dremel on as slow a speed as I could manage.