It's for sale again!

The red compilation GTE is back for sale on eBay. Not mine. It is identified as not numbers matching.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-Mercury-Cougar-GTE-/263046319219?hash=item3d3ec84c73:g:t4EAAOSw3h1ZSC2Y&vxp=mtr.

Thanks Dennis. I’ve notified the seller that anything less than stating that the car has been rebodied is a gross understatement, and suggested he modify his listing.

I’m just curious about this Cougar. What’s the thought about the value? Has anyone ever been able to address the XR7-S taillights? Are they a real XR7-S Cougar item or just a custom item.
Steven

This car causes me fits… It appears to be very well done and completely wrong all at the same time. If you approach it as a resto mod or a clone GT-E and forget about any sort of claim to fame as a real GT-E at or close to this price, I think it might be a great car to own. You could literally drive the fur off of it and not feel bad about it. Even if you wrecked it, the rebuilt version would not change in value one bit.

I do agree with you Bill this is a car to be driven. I think it would be the best of both sides of the GT-E world. The heart and soul of the real deal but the peace of mind of it not being a “truly rare” Cougar. I like the small changes of the body parts which is something that should never be done to an original real GT-E but on this Cougar it works.
Steven

He does have this statement in his add,

The hidden VIN numbers on the front inner fenders do not match the VIN on the dash and the VIN on the door tag

Well, putting all the “incorrectness” aside, what is a car like this worth?

I think he has it priced about right. I think this is a really cool car. I like the standard console with the garage door. I like the G shift knob and the G valance, and the XR7-S tail lights even though they are probably not even remotely factory produced. It is a good color combo and it will be a balst to drive. I would also add factory air just because it gets really hot in a GT-E. You could take this to any show anywhere and knock peoples sock’s off…

Given all that, one should verify that this is a 427, and I think it is I seem to recall some mention of the cross bolts and appropriate hex head threaded freeze plugs… The 427 adds a lot of value here even with the wrong numbers for this car, a 427 is one cool beast.

Bill I think you are correct about the 427. I remember that from a previous sale listing in Raleigh. If I remember correctly the original 427 is still around and verified by the person that has or had it in their possession.
Steven

I’m with Bill - add air and go cruising. Wonder what Vin is on the title

I like the car too. It would be a great driver.

What should the next owner bill this car as - a GTE tribute?

If I had the cash right now, I would make an offer.

That brings up an interesting point (in my mind). I wonder what the other VIN is. I wonder if the valance and shift knob were taken from the donor car chassis and this is a GT-E/XR7-G combination. Hmmm.

So this is the old Mustangs Unlimited “GT-E” right?? Just clarifying…

So far away from the 150,000 ad of 6 years ago, lol

The seller is very upfront and nice to talk to. It’s better to have things out in the open for a buyer than try to hide things. Like it has been said here, this would be a fun car to drive.

OK, While we are kicking this can down the road, I have a question, with a really nicely restored true GT-E that has a service replacement engine with a 70 date code and not the born-with engine, what would this do to the price overall?

Thanks for the notes on the car…the fact that it is a top oiler helps discourage me even more (not that I was really interested) and should be noted very clearly by the seller too, though!

On the DMV issue…I had to have “Gunner” looked at by the State Police to verify VIN on the underside of the front fender(s) to be able to register the car here. But that was a case of a car whose registration had expired in New Jersey, first. That ought to be SOP for any state. Ought to be… :wink:

But if it’s registered in Georgia, for example, and then re registered/transferred in state, I’d think no problem in getting that done at the DMV with a simple dash/door inspection. Now that I think about it, this also is always the procedure with other cars and I can’t think of why the police were involved with a “constructed” car that was being restored. I guess it was because the car was stuck at my shop and couldn’t have just been driven to the DMV office? If I’d have trailered the car to the DMV, they’d likely not have looked up under the fenders. It was the fact that the police were doing me a service and coming to the house that actually prompted him to look around more than would the DMV. Hmm…

So he was directly asked if it is rebodied and this is his public answer:

Q:
Would like more info on car.Has the car been re bodied or has front clip been changed from previous accident ? What is vin on inner fenders? Do you have any video of car running? Can you give phone number and best time to call? Thanks
Jun-21-17
A:
I believe the Cougar has not been rebodied but the Cougar registery lists it as a rebody although they have no solid proof in my opinion. The vin on the left front fender does not match the vin on the door, dash, title and Marti sheet. They all have the vin number showing the GTE 427 description.

:jump3: :laughing:

Go on, tell me another one!!!

:bonghitter:

So lemme get this straight…

All the VINs are correct for a GT-E but the ones on the fender(s) are not the same as those other pesky ones?

So at least two GT-Es donated parts for the completion of this car. Well that’s pretty amazing :unamused:

It doesn’t get more solid than the wrong VIN number on the inner fenders.