Kick panel speakers on 68

Super belated reply, but there is a reproduction of the speaker pods now: link

Before these were on the market, I went the cheap route and got some generic plastic speaker cups and made them work. What’s interesting about the factory style ones is how much extra air space is added behind the speaker, maybe that helps with bass.

This is the mother of all thread resurrections!

The originals had a piece of fiberglass insulation stuffed into the bottom of the pod. Like regular speaker enclosures acts to stop vibration and sometimes enhances bass.

Anyone ever able to compare the difference in sound between the repro and the original? I like music!

I found a set of originals a few years back after originally posting. I can’t comment on the repops. The originals are fiberglass, repops appear to be thin plastic, sound wouldn’t reflect as well as the thicker fiberglass ones in my opinion. If you’re going to buy them you might want to line them with something to reflect the sound waves. Remember you have to install speakers that are designed for a closed space rather than the open air ones sold everywhere these days.

I have a set of original kick panel speakers that I would part with. In good shape with speakers, fiberglass sound deadener, and wiring harness. Came out of a 68 parts car. If any interest let me know.

Actually the originals were made of plastic. There is no discernible difference in repro vs. OEM when back filled with insulation.

Agree with Don. I have two sets of the originals here. Very thin molded plastic, easy to break them if you are not careful.

I went ahead and purchased the reproduction models. Figured new plastic and fiberglass insulation will be as good as originals.

Installation question:

Does the notch go up or down. I will be doing a new install and don’t have a way of knowing before I mark and cut.

It follows the curve of the fender so the widest part goes to the top where the fender bulges the most

The little notch for the wiring goes up, since the wiring goes up under the dash.

Just in case anyone is wondering, I started this thread back in 2012 and still haven’t fixed those holes…

Lets see if we can keep it rolling until 2012! Sounds like a bunch of old guys with nothing better to do…

Anyone have a picture of how the Insulation on the inside looks?

It’s basically just a square of fluffy stuff, shoved into the back of the pod.

Or you can simply do what the previous owner did on my car for speaker tubes!

^^^ I bet you wondered why Blue Oyster Cult sounded particularly good on your car stereo…

• Phillip

Skip the Fiberglas and use poly fill. It works better acoustically and won’t make you itch. You can fairly well stuff the enclosure with it and not go wrong. You can buy it at any Walmart or fabric store. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Poly-Fil-Premium-Polyester-Fiberfill-50-oz-Bag/17808670

Or mention it when you buy the enclosures from us and it is free…

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=C8W%20speaker%20enclosure

I just picked up a set of repro speaker pods from WCCC (didn’t see this thread so didn’t know to ask for the polyfill). Any tips for installing the speaker pod on the driver’s side, because it looks like the windshield washer pedal is in the way. Does that have to be removed first? If so, how hard is it to do?
Resized_20191013_165942.jpeg
My previous owner also cut some holes. The pods do not fit in them, but I made a template and they are close. I am hoping I can just grind out the little bit that needs to go away. I only need t remove up to the black marker lines and they should fit. Hoping I can get away with using a die grinder.

What do you think? Will that work?
Resized_20191013_165942.jpeg
Resized_20191013_165906.jpeg