Kick panel speakers on 68

'Joe"
The windshield washer pump just screws to the floor with hex head screws. Just twist, torque, stand on head and remove :wink: If I recall they are easier to get to if you also remove the vent drop down register.
Shouldn’t be too bad.

Thanks David. Is the vent drop down register also an easy removal?

I didn’t even know these existed! I wonder why the Mustang never got them. Is the “pod” reproduced? What size speakers were used? This would make a great “how to” article.
-Keith

Back in the beginning of this thread there is a pretty extensive “how to” as well as the detail on the reproduction speaker pods. It is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to do this from the inside of the vehicle.

Because the Cougar was meant to be more ‘upscale’ than the Mustang, I thought everybody knew that???.. :smiley: … :poke:

All kidding aside, I wonder how the depth is from the speaker hole to the fender, Cougar vs. Mustang? Perhaps the Mustang is a bit less, thus not allowing the speakers? :shrug:, dunno, just a WAG…

I remember having my fenders off and Bill telling me you better cut those holes while your there, guess what? I didn’t cut them for one reason or another and kinda regretting it. :laughing:

However I think I can make it happen in the car and kinda want to try it to prove it can be done,

I bet you could do it with some kind of Dremel…

Someone before me, did a real hack job and drilled a bunch of holes and then cut it out. It’s super jagged. I just left it, popped some new cheap speakers in, laser cut a hole guide and drilled holes through new re-pro kickboards. It sounds and looks pretty good.

So a year later I finally got to this point with my interior and I decided not to cut the speaker holes rather just use the speaker pods instead. Biggest reason was my kick panels are junk so I needed new ones anyway. Plus drilling all those holes in repro panels seems just as painful as cutting the sheet metal from the inside! :laughing: but I still think it can be done inside with the right tools and some care.

So I used these nice vinyl overlay panels which I can fit a 6.5” round speaker and even a tweeter if I desire. Doesn’t look too bad or interfere with my feet or pedals. I’ll insulate behind the speaker as well to improve sound quality. Speaker choice was a cross between wattage support and grill cover.