Kickdown rod - is it worth it?

I wanted to know how many folks are using the rod? Mine is attached to my FMX and the Edelbrock carb. It does work, although probably needs an adjustment, as when it engages it is fairly violent. And to be honest, engaging it is usually unintentional. So I guess the question is - is it worth it? Thx

It’s worth everything that one time you really need it.

It sounds like it may be engaging too soon and needs adjustment. It should only engage when you are applying heavy throttle. As sfhess noted, when you are trying to get on the freeway and the right-lane campers aren’t cooperating, you’ll definitely appreciate the crisp response from the downshift provided by the kick down over a boggy acceleration in high gear without it.

I also run an Edelbrock carb but use a Lokar cable to downshift my C6. It allows for infinite adjustment. But I’m always glad it’s there. Mine downshifts pretty violently too but I love it! :grinning:

I run a 4300. I adjusted the kickdown so the downshift occurs during the WOT bog. Perfect place to change gear.

Thx. What is WOT bog? And how is the adjustment made so the downshift occurs then. Thx.

WOT = Wide Open Throttle

Since the 4300 has mechanically operated secondaries, the secondaries can open faster than the engine can consume the air/fuel. If your carb has vacuum secondaries you may not have the bog.

On a Ford carburetor, at the throttle lever at the kick-down rod attachment, you will see an adjustment screw. open the throttle with your hand and you will see where the screw hits the kick-down. Back it off some to delay when it downshifts. Turn it in some to make it downshift sooner. Take it for a ride. Adjust as you go (pull over) until you get it where it feels good to you.

The kick down basically just down shifts into 2nd gear. If it’s not work as should and you need that extra power , say for passing just manually drop it down into 2nd. Dont keep it in 2nd too long.
Worked for me up until I upgraded to an AOD.

excellent, thank you. Edelbrock secondaries are mechanical as well.

Thanks, not sure I understand - does the AOD prevent you from manually dropping into 2nd, or does the AOD make that move unnecessary. I would love to have overdrive on my FMX.

Both AOD and FMX will use the kickdown.

If I anticipate that I may want to go WOT, such as when I’m in a small radius cloverleaf onto the freeway, then I shift to 2 in the turn. That way I’m already at a higher RPM when I go WOT and don’t get the bog. Once I’m out of the turn I shift back to D, and the transmission does the upshift once I back out of the throttle.

AOD has a kick down but is a cable not a rod like the FMX has. The FMX kick down rod is sometimes difficult to adjust. It doesn’t take much of an adjustment at the carb to throw it out of spec.