labor cost for disc brake conversion

Hi Everyone!

I’m new to the forum, so please bear with me. I have a 1969 cougar and would like to know the cost of labor to install the disc conversion kit I was given by my friend. One mechanic quoted $1200 to $1400. Is this a fair price? Thanks! Ben

EGADS…wow, you could buy a lot of tools for that cost and do the job yourself. How many hours did they say it would take? Labor at $80 to $100 an hour wouldn’t come up to $1200. I haven’t seen the kit you have, but I’m guessing it shouldn’t take a pro more than 4 hours to install rear disc kit on the cat. That includes changing out the proportioning valve if required.
By the way, welcome to the Cougar community! :smiley:

That does sound kinda high, but it depends. Front or rear brakes? (Or both?) Power or non-power? Does the kit use stock spindles/rotors/calipers, or aftermarket? Are you keeping the current pedal, or will it require changing as well? Engine compartment hard lines being replaced, or re-used?

Daryl,

The kit is for both front and rear brakes. And because he’s a mechanic at a auto repair shop, he said it would take a week, depending how busy the shop was going to be. Thanks! Ben

cj750,

The kit is for both front and rear brakes, power brakes. Kit uses stock spindles/rotors/calipers and the pedal will not be replaced. I’m not sure if engine compartment hard lines will be replaced. Probably will be reused. Thanks! Ben

It really depends on what needs to be done, what you’re starting with and what will be found as the car’s being worked on. And of course who’s doing the work and the shop rate per hour. Too, you have to factor into account San Francisco’s one of the most expensive cities to live in and throw that into the mix.
Whatever route you take brakes are one area you do not want to skimp on. The suspension goes hand in hand with this as well. You can have all the power in the world and it won’t do you any good if you can’t stop the car so you’re on the right track. Just get a gut feeling and go where and have done what needs to be done to give you piece of mind.

Thanks cyclonelou! Appreciate the advice. Ben

Ok, front and rear is a larger job. I was thinking you were talking about just the rear. $1200 still seems high, but your California labor rates are probably double or triple what they are around here. If they are a reputable shop and you are comfortable with their work quality I would still check with other people that have had work done by them too.
Best of luck in whatever you decide to do. Happy Cougaring!

Another piece of advice-Ask some of your neighbors or co-workers. There are good mechanics everywhere, you just have to find one you can trust, bearing in mind that a properly trained professional’s not going to work for nothing. But it sounds like we’re talking about a simple street car here not some foreign exotic.
You don’t have the skills, time, place or tools to do this job yourself? No problem. Seek out a cruise spot and ask around who someone might recommend. Sooner or later it’ll all work out.