Long Tube Headers against Tranny oil pan

Hey Guys & Gals,

I recently installed an AOD in my 67. I have a 289 with headers and where the headers connect to my exhaust pipes it is leaning against the tranny pan and causing a leak. I am looking for any suggestions on how I can fix this. If needed I can post some pictures but it won’t be until next weekend. Thanks in advance!

Nef

Have you tried to see if using manifolds helps it fit better?

Are these the conventional long tube type headers or the shorties?

Manifolds can be extrude honed and gasket matched to the heads, ported and relieved just like a head can.

They actually won’t flow that bad even if you just match them to the gaskets with a Dremel tool.

I had the seller of my vehicle reinstall the manifolds before I got it. I have no complaints about the power!!

The headers are long tube. No, I have not tried installing the manifolds and would prefer not to. I was told by a muffler shop that the header can be heated up and then bent a little to where it is not touching. I just wanted to see if a anyone else has experienced this problem. I am hoping to get other suggestions/opinions.

They are telling you the correct answer. Sounds easy.

Royce, thanks for your feedback. I really appreciate it.

I’m surprised a certain photo hasn’t shown up yet…

That guy Bob is slacking off.

Randy Goodling
CCOA #95

It would be great to change them out with these: Item 2 in the list. click and see the picture.

http://www.fordpowertrain.com/FPAindex/Mustang1.htm

These headers fit like a glove. Clear the P/S ram without dropping it. Work with the AOD and tuck up far tighter than any header on the market. Designed by a guy that bleeds Ford blue. I have installed multiple sets of these headers and they are the best on the market and competitively priced next to other quality headers.

Hope I am not the guy with the photo……

Rob

Rob,

Thanks for the information.

My Headman long tubes argued with the C6 trans over space. Before I had the exhaust made, I used a porta-power (portable hydraulic press) to gently pry the collectors away from the trans. No heat was required. Just some strategically placed blocks of wood along the subframe and being patient and taking my time was all that was needed.

This photo??

DOH!!!