Looking for a 1970 XR7 Convertible.

Looking for 1970 XR7 Convertible any help is appreciated new to the hobby.
Saw a White XR7 with Red interior and Black convertible top and got hooked.
Thanks
Bob

Not mine

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/littleton-1970-mercury-cougar-xr7/7498228920.html

not mine

https://hickory.craigslist.org/ctd/d/hickory-1970-mercury-cougar-convertible/7501110610.html

Thanks for the responses!
I eMailed the owner of the Red three speed Convertible he responded with a price of $40k
So I kept looking and found this one up for auction!

https://www.allcollectorcars.com/classic-car-auctions/vehicles/1970-mercury-cougar-xr-7-1970-mercury-cougar-xr7/

It’s nice and shiny but you know what they say not all that glitters is Gold!
The thing that really stands out to me about this car is the motor, they are saying it’s a 351W but I think it’s a 302 posing as a 351w, anyway that’s what the emission information on the right valve cover says 302… I don’t know enough about these cars to know but I think something’s not right about it…Maybe you can have a look see and tell me what you think.
Anyway some of of the items on that Marti Report are missing The Motor I think, the AM tape deck, the back glass, and it’s a ok repaint with mostly
reproduction interior parts.
Maybe some of you who are familiar with these cars can have a go see and tell me what u think about it and what the price should be…
It sure would help to get some more advice before the bidding ends.
Well thanks for your time and look forward to everyone’s input.
Harold.

It actually looks pretty good and seems to be a thorough honest representation. I am VERY critical of these retail dealers based on past experience and this one is definitely retail priced but not crazy high. I see about $3000 in missing and incorrect parts which means there are a few more unseen items. Call me and i will walk you through the pictures. And yes, if you buy it I expect you to buy the missing washer bottle from us…

That’s not a bad car at all. However, it’s already at least $10k over what you’d like to pay from a private sale, if you could find one, and it’s got a ways to go before reserve. That’s the problem with these though, they’re all getting harder and harder to find.

I am sure this has a 351W in it. Go to the picture looking straight down at the engine, look at the intake manifold just behind the A/C compressor, note the 2 bolt heads one at the front of the intake(L/H side) and another one just behind the water port in the intake manifold. Only early 351Ws have that. The emissions sticker is the wrong one as is the air cleaner decal, it would be correct on a Mustang.
I see a lot of things that had corners cut on. The seat covers are just wrong. But they do not look bad to a person that does not kow how they should look. It should have double pin stripes. As well as what others have said.
I’m not going to comment on the price, it is worth what somebody makes a deal with them for it. My self, if the deal was right, (and if could afford it) I think it is over all a bice looking Cougar in good colors, and being a XR-7 Convertible it is quite rare. It looks, in the pictures like the body work and paint may have been done well. Making it a good starting point to make it a better Cougar.
But thisis your money I’m spending. You will need to decided if this one would check all your boxes and see if you can get a deal on it.

Well this morning bidding for the 1970 XR7 Convertible reached a point where it became academic for me and I dropped out.
That’s the bad news…
The good news is members came forward with leads on convertibles insights and advice about the Cougar I was bidding on and the cars generally, I really appreciate it.
Was please that what I was seeing could be validated by other members and the things I saw with the car that I didn’t understated could be explained by the members who had the technical knowledge.
Believe me the interaction on this site makes the buying a Cougar a lot less stressful.
So the search go’s on for the right Cougar and I will be running possible candidates by the members and hope it’ll be as much fun for you as it has been for me.
Thanks
Bob Ross
BTW Happy 4th of July and I’m not saying anything we don’t already know but should be said over and over, America is the Greatest Country in the World.

I’m guessing the one I posted above ended up not being as nice as the pictures?

What condition are you looking for ?

So, That 1970 White over Red Cougar XR7 Convertible I told you about in Canada, the one I just had to have! I bought it and I paid all the money!!! ALL THE MONY! I coulden’t help myself! I’ll be getting it in a few weeks but I look at the photos and I think to myself “I don’t care what it costs I’m going to make this car Right” I hope that feeling passes!
When it get’s here I’ll post photos of it so you can help come up with ways to spend the money!
Excited to be part of the Cougar Community they are great cars great people and ready to be part of the fun!
Greetings from and Viva Las Vegas!
Harold Ross

Don’t count on the “I don’t care what it costs, I’m going to make this car right” feeling going away. It only gets worse, and is limited only by your bank account.

But congratulations, welcome, and that’s a sharp looking cat! I know I’m not the only one here who looks forward to following your progress.