Looking for Center link 1970 Cougar w/ power steering

I’m looking for a center link for 1970 Cougar XR7 Convertible with power steering.

The roller pin broke off in mine then a tap broke off trying to get the remnants of the roller pin out.

Fred Richardson

WCCC

Pretty sure I have one.Will try to get out to shed later today and have a look

Thank you

I looked but apparently I only have the 69 version.I will keep on the look and let you know if I find one,sorry

Welcome to the Forum Fred.

Is there anyone around you who does Electro Discharge Machining (EDM)? That may be your best bet for getting the pin and broken tap out of the link. I have one in the Detroit area if that is helpful.

Thank you for looking.
I appreciate it.

Thank you for the tip.
I found a machinist who specifically says he does EDM.
I’m hoping to bring the Center link to him either tomorrow or Sat.

Tom,
I know these are supposed to have a roller pin inserted to keep the power steering valve assembly from rotating. Would it be wrong of me to either have the hole tapped then secure with a screw or the other option is to drill through the center link and use a bolt and nut to secure the Valve body. What are your thoughts on the safety and reliability of either option.

I don’t claim any expertise for this. I’ve never had an issue with the roll pin and would suspect that is as or more likely to stay put than a screw. Do you know how yours got broken?

It broke off when I took the valve assembly off the Center Link. I pulled on the pin and it separated just beneath level on the Center Link. I tried drilling out the pin using a drill press with no success. That’s when I tried an hex head easy out which broke off. If I created a dimple in the remnants of the easy out I might be able to back it out but at this point I’m thinking I would be better off taking it to a machine shop to have them clear out the hole for the pin or replace the center link.

The roll pin in my center link broke off many years ago. I never replaced it. I have never had an issue with the control valve moving on the center link. The clamp should be sufficient to keep it from rotating.

So, maybe a should leave well enough alone and run with it.
I wondered about the significance of the roll pin.

I would not “leave well enough alone” regarding steering, braking, or suspension. I’ve not looked closely to see what forces the roll pin actually constrains, however I will bet FoMoCo did not spend $0.02 for the pin plus the 2.8 seconds of labor to install it without a damned good reason.

Just an observation from my 30+ years as a steering, braking, suspension engineer for one of Ford’s suppliers.

2 Likes

if you are still looking for a replacement center lick, i have a couple. PM me, thanks

Fordnut,

How do I PM you in this forum.
What condition is the center link in?
How much do you want for it?

frichardson, To PM, try clicking on the person’s user name.

PM sent