Love Story

In 1986, I bought my first car. It was a 1964 Ford Fairlane 2 door sedan with a 260 V8 and 2 speed Ford-O-Matic transmission. I worked for a full year to save up the money, and bought it for the princely sum of $400. For the next year and a half, I spent many hours driving up and down the highways from home to school and back, and I loved every minute of it. My car was in great condition, but despite its sweet jet-engine taillights, it was one of the slowest vehicles on the planet. In comparison with the Super Bees, GTO’s, hopped up Mustangs, and Buick Rivieras that my friends were driving, I wasn’t even in the same time zone, much less a contender. But my Dad and I had a plan.

We put together a 302 and a C4 transmission to go into the Fairlane, and I learned the joys of snapping off bolts in the intake and other valuable lessons that every teenage boy should have. At last, it was ready to go in, but we decided to wait till spring, as the garage was unheated and we didn’t want to freeze off any important body parts finishing our project.

Sadly, that’s when disaster struck. On the way back from school in a blizzard, an elderly gentleman in a Caprice Classic ran into the back end of my Fairlane, shoving the rear bumper almost up to the back seat. It was curtains for the old girl. No one in those days would straighten the frame or fix a ‘cheap old car’ like mine, no matter how much it meant to me.

Despondent, I began to look through the newspaper classifieds to find a replacement, so I’d have something to drive the 30 miles to school. Nothing stood out. There were no interesting cars that I could afford at all, and my sixteen year old heart ached from the loss of my cool little Ford. About that time, my Dad came in. I explained why I was so bummed, and he said “Let me take a look.”

Soon he pointed out that there was a Cougar for sale. Now keep in mind, at this time, my father was not very intelligent. Like many fathers, he didn’t develop any appreciable wisdom or smarts until I was sometime in my 20s. I remember saying something like “Dad, why would I want a big ugly luxury car?” - thinking of the mid to late 70s Cougars that I was familiar with. (no insult intended to anyone here that owns one of them!)

“No,” he said, “the first few years of these were more like Mustangs! Why don’t we take a look?”

Humoring him, I sulked in the passenger seat until we reached a dilapidated house with junk strewn around it. A rangy old Hippie with long grey hair came out of the house and sidled up to his garage. It had one of those old-fashioned one-piece wooden doors that doesn’t fold up, but lifts straight up and back to open, and I remember that the white paint was peeling, and it was covered in dirt, cobwebs, and dead bugs. I really had no hope, but was determined to see my father’s lunacy through to the bloody end.

When he opened the door, trash just rained down. I dreaded what might be inside his garage. But as it rose, wide Goodyear Eagle 235/60 R15 rear tires, and a pair of gleaming exhausts were revealed. The taillight grilles spoke to me, and my eyes fell upon the car’s muscular haunches. Light shone down from heaven, and angels sang. I remember the Hippie saying “Well, she doesn’t have an engine or transmission…” but I don’t recall a thing anyone said after that. The price was right, and this car had to be mine. It was love at first sight. Not a fleeting fling with some ratty old metal floozy, but a full-on romance for life.

I loved everything about this '67 Cougar, and after putting the ‘project’ engine and transmission that we’d built for the Fairlane into my Cougar, I drove it for many years. I had many adventures in that car, and though it was never the nicest vehicle, I will always remember it with deep affection.

My current Cougar, Veronica, is not the same car. But I’ve owned her since 2000. She’s been through a lot with me too, including an engine fire back in 2005 that has sidelined her for many years. Despite going through two divorces and many personal hardships, I’ve managed to hold onto her.

My (now much-more-intelligent) father is a Vietnam vet, and sadly, due to Agent Orange exposure, he has Parkinson’s. In this last year, I’ve managed to pick up a job with the Census Bureau, and I’m saving money to get Veronica back on the road. My plan is to take some road trips with Dad before his condition gets so bad that he can’t enjoy it anymore. I still have a lot of hurdles to overcome, and I hope I’ll get it done in time, but I’m sure working hard towards that goal. It seems appropriate to me that the man who instilled in me such appreciation for cars, and the aptitude for working on mechanical things should be able to enjoy this neat old ride too.

No matter how it turns out, I’ll do everything in my power to make my car the ride I’ve always dreamed of. I’m one of the fortunate few that got to grow up in another time, doing bootlegger turns and doughnuts, and having burnout contests for distance with my friends out on the bridge near my house. We fishtailed through fields with the windows down, grass hanging from every point of the suspension, and seeds filling the back seat. When things broke on my car, it was me that had to fix it, so I learned to appreciate what I had in a way that many “rich” kids my age couldn’t comprehend. I have always been financially challenged, but perhaps that is a blessing in disguise.

I miss my old Fairlane sometimes, but if it hadn’t been for that strange set of circumstances, I’d never have found the true love of my life. I’m eternally grateful for the privilege of being able to own and enjoy these magnificent tin cats for so many years. There is no car I would rather drive in all the world.

Nice story, my first was a hand me down after my sister hit Something on the driver front , I collected the parts and fixed it, my Dad is 80 but he still talks about him and I rebuilding the 302 and 3 speed in the basement one winter before I got my license .

Thanks, Hertz! Glad you and your dad got to share similar experiences too. =)

I thought maybe I’d add a pic of my current car and I, the day I got her, for people that are interested.

I haven’t been able to find a single picture of my car

That’s a great story.
What does your Cougar need to get her back on the road.

Well, I gave my engine to a ‘friend of a friend’ almost 3 years ago now to have it balanced and get some other work done on it. He’s still not done. That’s ONE of my big hurdles. Have to finish doing some wiring, paint the engine bay, get the new carpet in, dye the new seats to match the rest of my interior…

I could go on, but the short answer is ‘everything’. Making much forward progress though. =) If I don’t have my engine back in a month I guess I’ll be looking for an engine.

Trying to decide if I can afford to do paint. She looks pretty rough, even though she’s very straight.

Love the story also. After that story, I think we all would help get you back on the road. Please post your location? Get the hot dogs and beer ready. Neighbors helping neighbors.

I live in the mighty metropolis of Sedgwick, Kansas, just north of Wichita. =) (tiny little farming community of 1700 people!)

And if any of you actually come to visit, I’d make sure you feel welcome. Always glad to meet other Cougar fans.

Just thought I’d add another chapter to this AUTObiography.

My car was originally sold to a nice schoolteacher in California. She ordered sensibly, including air conditioning, power brakes, power steering, and she treated herself to the luxury of the XR7 package with its leather seats. A 2V 289 with C4 automatic rounded out the car’s features. Its Glacier Blue paint and dark blue Levant leather interior made a good combination.

By 1978, the car had just over 80k miles on it, and she mentioned to a wealthy friend of hers (referred to hereafter as “Ron”) that she was worried it might be getting a bit old. He asked her how much she’d paid for it, and she told him, “$3000.”

Thinking that the car might be fun for his son, Ron wrote her a check for $3000! His son drove the car for a year or so before deciding to try his hand at auto painting. The car was redone in white, but sadly, it was not prepped very well. More on that later.

In 1980, the car was parked in Ron’s garage, where it sat for the next twenty years, occasionally started but not driven.

In 2000, Ron decided he wanted his garage space back! So, he put an ad in his local newspaper. It read simply “1967 Cougar, stored since 1980, never wrecked, no rust ever. $3000” Keep in mind, Ron lives in California.

At the time, I was really missing my first Cougar, which I’d foolishly sold about 8 years previously when wiring trouble and a new Toyota MR2 combined to make me think I could live without it. My MR2 was gone, and I needed a car, so I was browsing the classifieds online, that particular Sunday. I happened across this ad, and decided to give the seller a call to see if it was genuine.

It was. Ron was a pleasure to talk to. Even though he wasn’t a ‘car guy’, I had that poor elderly gentleman inspecting a few key items and numbers on the car for me. Satisifed with his answers and the effort he’d made to help me find out more about the vehicle, I asked him (sight unseen!) if he’d accept payment by Wednesday, and let me send a truck to ship it out to Kansas. He agreed.

I made all the arrangements, and by Tuesday, I was practically dancing with excitement. I called again to make sure that everything was in order. Ron said “You know, an awful lot of fellers called about that car, and a couple came by to see it, but I told 'em it was already sold.”

He had no idea that his local ad had been published on the internet along with the rest of his local paper’s classifieds! Thank you, Ron, wherever you are, for being a man of your word, and having the integrity to see things through with me.

As promised, my car was picked up from California on Wednesday, and it arrived at my house in Kansas soon afterward. I couldn’t believe the great condition she was in. Even the dealer-installed Rotunda headrests were still intact - and downright dangerous to the back of one’s head and neck I might add. laugh

The paint looked chalky, but was intact when I got it. Its original 289 started and ran reasonably well, but the rusty sludge in the radiator was awful. It looked like liquid rust. I performed basic maintenance, replacing the coolant, oil, belts, plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor. She ran great for a car that had been sitting so long!

Sadly, after only a couple of weeks, the paint started to flake away in huge patches due to improper prep. Just as bad, the engine was prone to run hot even after just a short drive. I discovered that flakes of rust from inside the block were coming loose and clogging the radiator. I had it rodded out twice, and flushed no less than four times, but it was all for naught; nothing seemed to prevent the scale from causing trouble.

I’d foolishly been driving on 20 year old tires, and sure enough, one of the rears let go while I was doing 75 MPH down the interstate in the rain! The blowout hammered my passenger rear fender, flattening out and denting the pinch weld a bit, and damaging the chrome strip. I spun out, swapping ends twice before coming to rest by the edge of the highway, facing oncoming traffic. Thank goodness no one was hurt, and my car wasn’t damaged more badly than she was! So, I bought a new set of tires (which I’d been saving for!), along with a new set of 15" Magnum 500 rims. Yet another lesson learned.

Soon after, the lifters started collapsing, and the engine began to lose compression. All those years in storage had done more damage to the little 289 than anyone suspected. It was then that I had my friend Tom Yocum, a local gearhead and dirt-track racer, help me put in an '89 5.0 HO motor from a Lincoln sport coupe. I also had the front drum brakes replaced with Grenada spindles and discs, to ensure consistent stopping from any speed. While there are many reasonable alternatives now, back when I had this done in 2000, there just weren’t a lot of cheap brake kits for early Mustangs and Cougars. If I had it to do over, I’d put on some KH 4 piston brakes I think, but they work reasonably well.

We also did the Shelby mod, and put on a new set of KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, 600# 1" drop front springs, along with a 1" front swaybar. I was amazed at how much better my car handled and went around corners! No more powerboating and steering long after a turn while my car wallowed around.

Just because I had always wanted them for my first car, I also installed a '69 Eliminator hood scoop and wing. I love the scoop, but I’m still not sure I’m happy about the wing decision! Chalk this up to watching “From Dusk 'Till Dawn” just to see the car…

After all those changes, I was able to really enjoy the car for a few years, and at least 20,000 miles. In another interesting twist of fate, it even took me (and everything I owned!) out to California to live, only a few hours from where she’d originally been sold. But that’s the start of another story.