Low Fuel Sending Unit rebuilding service

Any chance you can tell us what length the float arms are for the 20 and 22 gallon tanks?
My repop sender never shows full and drops like a rock to empty, but when I fill it back up it only takes about 10 gallons. Extremely frustrating to say the least…

If it never shows full, then the arm is not the issue. If it were short it would go to full and stay there for the first 4 to 6 gallons of use. It should then read empty when it hits the bottom of the swing. I have a cutaway 22 gallon tank that I can mount the sender in and verify that the arm is tracing the right curve. I will measure the arms and post that later today.

I have repop senders in both my White 70 and my 71. Both do that. I need to send Bill my originals to get rebuilt.

Many of the fuel sending units have issues with the 22 gallon tank. Attached is a copy of a scaled drawing of the 22 gal. tank in my '70. The issues I’ve found are:

1. The pickup tube is too short to reach all the way into the sump and a couple of gallons in the tank are not usable.
  2. The float arm is also too short and the float can not move the full distance from empty to full. I gave up the top couple of inches to better display the lower end. I start out with a full tank that shows full until I get to about 18 gallons and empty at about 2 gallons (that I can’t use anyway).
  3. There are differences in the resistance change in some of the sending units some are linear and some are not. I used the MeterMatch electronics to better calibrate the gauge within the limited range.

I use the full size drawing of the gas tank to evaluate and calibrate the sending units.
22galGasTkDimensions.pdf (1.06 MB)

Here is a picture of how one of the sending units looks on the drawing.

Bookmarked!! I don’t want to disable my car during peak driving season here in MN. After it’s parked in October or maybe put this on my Christmas list.

This is a 1970
Sender in the 22 gallon tank

The float doesn’t touch the bottom of the tank. The brown thing on the end is what is inside the filter sock. It extends the length of the pickup tube. If yours has melted or fallen off you are going to run out of gas a bit sooner than expected.

The float arm does not touch the top of the tank. It is 7 3/4” from the pivot point to the end of the loop around the float.

The ‘69 float arm is about 7 1/8” long. It end up about 2” shy of the top of the 22 gallon tank.

Perfect. Thanks Bill!
Now I just need to search through all my Cougar receipts and see what size tank I put in her. I can’t remember at this point.

Can you post how to test the thermistor?

Sure! Ground the wire to the thermistor at the sender (briefly) the low fuel light should light up. If you ground the wrong wire it should peg the fuel gauge on full. Or if you are more technically minded you can read the resistance between the thermistor connection on the sender and ground. Because the value is a function of temperature and the amount of current passing through it there isn’t a single correct value if it works, but it should show continuity at a minimum. I have yet to find one that is intact and functional on an original sender. Usually this is what I find.

I would like to have the pickup for my xr7 refurbished
It is in fair condition and I think a good candidate to repair.
How do I get this process started?

Hi 1Maverick. You can send me a PM through the site here or call or text me at 480 239 5537. I don’t charge until I have your sender completed and tested. I am currently pretty well caught up so less than a week for turn around time.

Hi my name is Scott .I have a sender unit I think may need to be rebuilt .Could I contact you on the phone to discuss this and if so what would be a good time ? thank you

HI Scott, I am in Arizona please call me before 9PM.

Thanks!