Mecum Red GTE Engine Rebuild

Wonder what the two “G’s” mean. Just kinda stamped with no thought of angles or other numbers?

Rob

These are from a 406 cast in July 62 with a August assembly date. I have seen the Gs on another GTE Block also, it was the boodieman car where ever it ended up. I’ve only seen them on high performance blocks so far.

The “G” was most likely stamped twice because the first attempt was poorly striked.

Chris is correct, my GT-E W-code block has letters stamped on it. I know there is a “D” stamped on the top of the block. I’ll have to look at my block later to verify, but there were several stampings on the block mostly at gasket interfaces.

Short block was picked up yesterday and engine re-assembled today. Engine has 70 pounds of oil pressure, using my drill motor, on 10/30 Castrol and yes it has oil to the top!!! Yay!!! Back on track and more soon.

Rob

Motor back together. Mocking up the front of the motor and specifically the smog pump. I was provided a smog pump by the guy who bought the burned up GTE originally. I feel the smog pump is not correct. Where can I find a reman correct smog pump for sale or a core to buy and rebuild? I see a couple on Ebay. Can someone provide a picture of the smog pump mounted. I have the correct alternator bracket for the smog pump above the alternator. Does it have a tensioner bracket? Also would love a shot of the tensioner bracket for the alternator.

Rob

No tensioner bracket. The upper bracket is unique as the adjuster slot is twisted to horizontal and curves over the top of the pump. I would make the smog system non functional. Remove the vanes from the pump and plug the ends of the tubes in the heads and vacuum hose. It looks functional but won’t rob power and the tubes won’t burn at the heads.

The adjuster brace is same as CJ, Rob, as is the whole system except for the pump pulley. I think it’s a little larger, and hard to find.

Does someone have a picture of the smog brackets and stuff? It would be hugely helpful.

Rob

There is a picture in the GTE book.

Here’s mine.

PERFECT PICTURE!!! Thank you!

Rob

I am very familiar with the tuning of the smog era high performance Fords. The thermactor system in itself does nothing more than inject fresh air into the exhaust ports of the engine which dilutes the exhaust charge coming out of the engine. The real power robber in this era is the distributor centrifugal advance and the dual port vacuum advance. The dual port vacuum advance was designed to retard the timing during different engine loads. This was done by allowing vacuum at the port closest to the distributor cap that sucked the vacuum advance backwards retarding the engine. The Christmas tree sensor in the thermostat housing was designed to allow full advance when cold and as the car warms up to allow the retarding of the engine timing.

I have recurved the distributors of these era cars and disabled the port on the vacuum advance closest to the distributor cap to basically remove the retarding of the engine under loads. All looks the same but the power is restored.

The auto industry found out that an by retarding the engine more completely burned the gas charge in the cylinder. One would think that this would make more power, but it did not. And gas mileage suffered. To me all of this was stupid as more gas was burned up to supposedly make less emissions. And the thermactor system was only to fool the exhaust measuring devices by diluting the exhaust gas.

Rob

The 427 GT-E doesn’t use dual port vacuum advance. It uses a single vacuum advance.

I actually knew that Royce. At the same time I was trying to dispel the myth on the Thermactor system. Maybe I should have moved this to a different thread on the site. I already have one private message from a 302 2v owner who wants help with his dizzy. Keep in mind that many GTE owners have multiple Cougars that are not GTE’s.

Rob

The 428CJ GT-E did use dual advance if the car had a C80F 12127-D distributor. Oddly enough this distributor was used on all manual 428CJ’s but only some automatic CJ’s.

Mock up of the front of the motor and the smog system is complete. Correct white fan smog pump and huge thanks the West Coast Classic Cougars for most of all the parts. Still need a smog pump tensioner bracket if you have one! Plan to land the motor on Tuesday!

Rob

Looking good Robert. I’m enjoying your updates.

Steven

Looks pretty good. A couple things could be better:

1. Power brake booster line is the '69 type. In '68 that line is simpler, straighter.
  2. Fuel pump looks like a low performance AC type
  3. Oil pressure sending unit looks like maybe an electric aftermarket under dash gage?

I wonder about the booster line. Most of the stuff on this engine were original to the engine. All of the PCV fittings were present and intact.

Oil pressure gauge is my liquid filled “start up” gauge. It will be removed after start up.

Rob

That’s the one that was used on Fairlane / Comet in 68 - 69 and Mustang / Cougar in 69 / 70.

Forgot to add, the alternator fan should be zinc dichromate, not black.