Most powerful production V8 in the world, from Ford

Ford is claiming that the 2013 Shelby Mustang will be equipped with a 650 horsepower 351, which will be the most powerful production V8 in the world.
http://mustangforums.com/articles/2010-present-s197-mustang/the-2013-ford-shelby-gt500-is-the-most-powerful-production-v8-in-the-world.php
I still say FoMoCo missed a golden opportunity by not creating a Cougar version of the Mustang platform that proved so popular in 2005. I mean, how cool would it be to buy a new GT-E or Eliminator with this drivetrain?

How cool would it be to slap one of them things into a 68 XR7 of any kind!!! What a sleeper you would have! Definately would have to replace brakes with good four wheel disc’s.

I zoomed in on the valve covers and it says, “Powered by== it doesn’t say Ford” Can’t make it out.

Looks like SVT to me, on the valve covers. I think that they want to make SVT a brand in the way that BMW has M and Mercedes has AMG.

Looks like it says “POWERED BY SVT”

Looks pretty good…

More high res pics here: http://seriouswheels.com/cars/2013/top-2013-Ford-Shelby-GT500.htm

Also, here’s the new Boss 302:

Good luck getting that to fit in your '68 XR-7…

Nonsense!!! Nothing some time spent with a cut-off wheel, and a whole lotta cash wouldn’t fix!!

I’m thinking tube chassis!!! Ohhhh, Fastcat…where are you…?? LOL.

May I ask what svt stands for? I hope it’s not too obvious.

I would guess Super Valve Technology. Since that’s what the Ampeg SVT bass amp is named. But I have no idea.

Is this an engine that’s gonna be run fuel injected only, computers and all that? Also why does it need 700 pulleys?

I love the sound of the HP, and have to assume it gets better mpg than our 60’s engines do, but if it’s fuel injected only, I would not want it in my Cougar. Last thing she needs is a computer.

SVT = Special Vehicle Team

Successor to SVO (Special Vehicle Operations), SVT is a small performance-oriented (“tuner” in the current vernacular) group within Ford. Besides the late-model Shelbys, SVT was behind the Mustang Cobra, F-150 Lightning, the current Raptor truck, etc. They also had a hand in some of the limited-edition performance Mustangs like the 2001 Bullitt and '03-'04 Mach 1, although they weren’t badged as SVT vehicles.

To be honest I’m more interested in the 2013 ZL1 convertible.

Ignore these words of heresy brothers! Cleanse the world of his blasphemy! Burn the heretic!

Put that monster motor in a Mustang vert then I’d be interested again.

SVO, was that then, a direct successor to Special Performance Vehicle? (SPV) or was there more in between?

I don’t think so. Might be in a supercar but it is a production V8

http://www.koenigsegg.com/cars/agera/specification/

Performance
Power output: 940 hp at 6900 rpm – redline @ 7250 rpm
Torque: over 1000 Nm from 2700 to 6170 rpm
Max torque: 1100 Nm at 4000 rpm
Koenigsegg aluminum 5,0L V8, 4 valves per cylinder, double overheadcamshafts
Compression: 9.0:1
Bore: 91.7 mm Stroke: 95.25 mm
Sequential, multipoint fuel injection.
Twin turbo superchargers
1.3 bar boost pressure.
Dry sump lubrication.
Carbon fibre intake manifold with optimised intake tracts.

SVO came about in the early eighties when Ford decided to get back into motorsports. They’d been out of racing and high-performance for about a decade at that point, so as far as I know, there was no immediate predecessor organization within the Ford corporate structure.
It’s the same story for Ford Motorsports, the racing and high-performance parts operation that was started at around the same time. Although basically similar to the old “Muscle Parts” program, there was no equivalent “in-between” operation from the time of “Muscle Parts” being disbanded in the early seventies to “Motorsports” being created in the eighties.

I was making a reference to the nomenclature of “Special Performance Vehicle” on the door VIN tag on the XR7-G cars among others.

I got that and what I tried to say is that the answer is no, they are not a “direct successor” because there were no Special Performance Vehicles or organizations to create or support them at Ford for a decade or more. When Ford did get back into performance, it was with programs that were new from the ground up. Yes, the new organizations have some similarity in purpose to the old. But as far as directly traceable lineage from one to the other, no.

Wow. It’s one thing to think that, but to actually post it for everyone to see. That’s just wrong. :thumbdown: