My first Cougar was my first COOL car?

http://www.oldbug.com/newmanvw.htm

Who said it was a jet?

Pratt & Whitney used to make piston-popping type engines, Scott…not sure if they still do or not, but…

Also, you ever see Jay Leno’s JET engine powered scooter? Plenty street legal. Turbines can be made to spin a gearbox, else we wouldn’t have all the lovely Beechcraft King Air turbo-prop aircraft!

definitely my first.
I loved that car.

Had a succession of nerdy and pragmatic rides too. Lots of cool motorcycles. But, nothing was ever as cool as that Cougar.

Dang, Andy, you’re resurrecting some old stuff today…feeling nostalgic? LOL

My first car was a '72 Maverick Grabber. My dad bought it wrecked, replaced some sheet metal and drove it for a few years. When I turned 16 he gave it to me. That car would haul ass. Unfortunately it rusted away around me and when one of the leaf springs finally broke it went to the scrap yard. I’m pretty sure I still have the 302 that was in it. At least most of it. I found one of the original emblems in dads tool box when I was cleaning it out. He was kind of sentimental, I’m sure he kept it because it was my first car.

My 1967 Cougar was my first cool car. It was my Grandfather’s and after he passed it was the hand me down car in the family. I had five older brothers so by the time I got it, it was in poor shape at best. I was driving so it was “cool”. I had a 68 standard for my second car and sold it in my senior for a 79 Mustang Pace Car. I have owned a lot of cars but the bulk have been Ford products. Love the Cougar’s the most they have the family history and the fond place in my heart. Oh and “classic styling”. :thumbup:
Steven

Steven-
I’ve had thirteen cars in 23 years, and all but three have been Ford! Two Toyotas(one currently DD), and one Chebby S10…everything else, blue oval! Ranging from a 72 pickup, to one each of a 92 Probe and Taurus SHO…probably the only “current”(80’s and up?) Ford I haven’t owned/had in the family, is a Mustang and a T-bird!

:deal4u: on an Immaculate 88 T-Bird. You won’t find a cleaner one anywhere.

LOL, I KNEW you’d reply with something like that, Mark! But, sigh, as you well know…iffin I’m going to pop for a fox-body, it’ll be an 88 Cougar!

Never owned a Ford before my cougar. Never owned a car anywhere close to as cool, though my first two were alright. '79 Monte Carlo and then a '79 Cutlass Supreme. Both were hand-me-downs from family members, both came and went pretty quickly. First car I bought myself was a '92 S-10 Blazer, liked it just fine but came to regret it fairly quickly. Paid too much for it and it was nothing but service issues. Donated it to the American Cancer Society, glad to be rid of it. Replaced it with the '00 4Runner I have had for like 9 years now. Love that thing but can’t really say it’s “cool”.

My Cougar is ridiculously cool. For my money, the 67/68 Cougar is the best-looking car I’ve ever seen. One thing I have to admit is that the GTE looks better than the normal old XR-7 like I got, and if I ever get a chance to pick up a GTE with a 428 I’ll be all over it. :slight_smile:

I’m shopping for a 78/79 Bronco, for a winter driver, which to me is the coolest truck ever. Honestly, I might have been in the market for a K5 Blazer right now, another truck I love, but after buying my Cougar I’m now officially leaning toward Ford.

To me, there is a charm and character to old cars that just doesn’t exist in newer cars. New cars can outperform the old dogs but now way they can out-cool them. Not for me anyway.

Yes, my Cougar is the first car I own that’s extremely cool. For sure.

:thumbdown:

There is a jet powered Mitsubishi running around Scottsdale and the same guy has one on a motorcycle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLWVzu4tpJE

Just running the jet is not that impressive so he occasionally dumps fuel into the after burner to make it into a flamethrower.

I can think of multiple ways that vehicle is illegal. He must be paying off the right people to be able to get away with that. Not just illegal for trivial reasons, too, actually dangerous and stuff. Anyone who’s ever stood behind a jet should know what I’m talking about.

Cool cars are cool. But a jet engine in a street vehicle is just plain wrong. If he never drove it anywhere but a track, that’s another story.

Google “y2k superbike”…street legal turbine motorcycle…why not a car?

Chrysler made a jet car. I believe 55 were made total. I have attached a video link of the car running. It sounds like a jet and nobody is wearing hearing protection. It drives through a crowd and nobody gets blown away. So thats a good thing! Very cool car. :thumbup:
Steven

that car is in the Chrysler museum in Detroit- I got pictures of it. Very cool!

Looks kinda T-Birdish.

I am very proud to say that my very first car is the same 67 cougar xr7 I own today. Got it when I was 15 and still working on it. Now I’m 21 and finally am driving it every weekend. Soon to be every day when I can replace a few things to make her more dependable. Still working out the kinks and getting the fresh motor all dialed in.

I can see a little bit of the T-Bird. But what I hear is Batmobile. :laughing:
Steven