My HertzG - Picture d'jour

It may look pretty bad to some, but I assure you it will ready for paint in the fall.

Looks like the roof still has some rust holes! Keep up the good work.

Wow! Thanks for keeping a very important Cougar on the road - can’t wait to see it finished!

• Phillip

great work!, It takes quite the skill to do this level of restro work.

Progress d’jour 3/14/2024

It’s cool to see the inner fender trunk drop down with both the drain hole and the reverse lamp wiring hole, Are those original parts or reproductions?

Very nice progress Chris.

The dropoffs are Dynacorn repos that I got through WCCC. I had to make some small changes to get them to look original. I had to flatten out the hole on the top (the one that gets the plug) , open up the reverse light hole to the correct diameter and add the square hole for the drain plug. Otherwise the part was pretty good.

The inner roof pillar was cutoff off another car by WCCC as well as the quarter window brace.

I ma hoping to get all of the rear end sheetmetal installed within the next few weeks.

2 Likes

That’s good to know. The repros from John’s Cougars have been on the past 5 cars that I worked on. Had to add both holes to all of them.

Progress d’jour 4/25/24:

There is a lot of repo sheet metal here, which was a struggle to get right. The first thing I did was make sure the rear window opening was correct.

Before I took the glass out originally, I measured the gaps all the way around the glass and wrote down the measurements on tape attached to the glass. When it was time to weld things together, I used the glass as a template to get the opening correct. It just so happens that the gap was mostly 7/16" all the way around the glass which was equal to 3 paint paddles stacked together (as seen in the 4th picture).

The door gaps on the RH side were perfect, but the LH side required me to cut the quarter panel back along the B-pillar to get a good even gap.

At this point I have excellent gaps around the trunk lid, quarter extensions and doors at the quarters and rockers.

The rear sheet metal is now completely welded in and I have turned my attention to the front end.

1 Like